When is a cyst considered large?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with a cyst 7.5x6.5x5.5cm. I am due to have surgery in a couple of weeks. They have said that it will be either a laparoscopy or laparotomy. I appreciate that what will be wil be, but I am just curious and trying to work out when a cyst becomes too large for laparoscopy and then requires a laparotomy.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Raven81,

Not sure about the two procedures you mentioned. My cyst was described as a biggie and a possible award winning size ( it weighed 21 lbs )

My surgeon said the largest ovarian cyst he removed came in at an incredible 14 lbs heavier than mine.

Will have to a bit of research to understand the two procedures and get back to you.

Ann X

• Posted

I have got a cyst of 12cm by 9cm. They told me that anything over 5 is considered large! It depends on the type of cyst as to whether you will have a laparotamy or a laparoscopy. Have you had an MRI or anything like that?
  • Posted

Hi tb53756,

Yes I had all the usual ultrasound, MRI and CT scans. My surgery was in June last year.

Whatever happens you shouldn't worry as decisions are always made in your best interests. You won't know a thing about it and will feel much better afterwards, once you are back home and rest up to recover.

I asked my surgeon if he had much experience of removing large cysts and he laughed and said the size of the cyst isn't important and it will all be removed with the utmost care, and it was.

Ann XX

• Posted

Hi thanks for the posts. I have scans and bloods. Just a week to go now. Can't wait to feel bettersmile
  • Posted

Thanks Ann! I am glad you are ok and your surgeon was so reassuring! I cant wait to have mine out and put this behind me.

How are you feeling Raven? Have you had your surgery now?x

• Posted

Hi mine ruptured about 7-10 days ago. Still been in lots of pain. Have booked for surgery today rolleyes
  • Posted

Good luck! I hope everything goes well.... make sure to let us know how you get on when you are well enough to update everyone! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.