When is Asthma an Emergency

Posted , 4 users are following.

I visited the asthma nurse Thursday morning as I was having trouble breathing and kept coughing and she suggested I double my dose of fostair inhaler and gave me 5 days of high dose (8 daily tablets 5mg) of steroids I'm now on day 3 of taking them and I still feel dreadful still coughing, breathing a bit better but can't get deep breath without struggle, and terrible tight chested (also have other health issues) and my left eye is drooping. My asthma usually under optimum control, so am not used to what is urgent - nurse said to dial 111 if still persistent after couple of days of taking steroids if on the weekend.

Any advice appreciated.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hope you are feeling better. Usually a tight chest is my infection or my asthma or both. It es awhile to feel better. If it doesn't get better or feels worse go to your doctor

• Posted

In my opinion ... if you take 2 puffs of Ventolin (salbutamol) and it provides little or no relief within 15-30 minutes you should call your doctor or after hours line right away and take it from there.

Given that you are already on oral steroids which is the most powerful drug for asthma you have to be careful.  But as the nurse noted it does take a couple days to kick in.

But since we don't know your other health issues it's best to ask your doctor what he/she would consider an emergency.

• Posted

Hi do you have a written asthma plan?

Your doctor or asthma nurse should write up a plan then if it starts a flare up of your symptoms you would have a good starting point. If your are ever not sure , or think you are having an attack go to doctor or out of hours

Hope this helps regards

• Posted

Sorry for the late reply - Thank you all for your replies, very much appreciated.

I called 111 as chest tightness developed into chest pain (that I suggested could be caused by all the coughing) and I have prinzmetal angina and they sent paramedics who said I had to be checked at A&E, they did further investigations, ecg, bloods, bp etc. then sent me home as they said everything was fine, thankfully. 

I forgot to mention that the asthma nurse did my peak flow which is 600 at best which was 250 on that occasion (I don't usually monitor my peak flow). I have another appointment to go to see the asthma nurse again, I will mention about the asthma plan as I haven't had one before as it's usually very well controlled and that has frightened me quite a bit as it happened/started so quickly.

Thanks again RR xx

• Posted

Forgot to mention as well, doctors have told me if your peak flow is 50% of your best peak then it's time for the hospital.  But personally I wouldn't wait if it was 60% but Ventolin is not working I'd call.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.