When is it ok to travel by car as a passenger after TKR?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had TKR 4 weeks ago. Feel very tired and weak. I'm sure it is due to very little exercise b4 surgery for several years. I have needed and still need help with meals, etc. I am doing PT but I'm sure not enough although today my straightening was at -4 and bending at 117.

I do what I can. I am staying with a friend at his house because all on one level and he has been helping me and taking me to my PT appointments. Most of the time I've been sleeping a lot due to the drugs.

My question is about going with him on a 5-6 hour car trip. If I don't go I won't have his help. PT told me too soon to go. I will ask my surgeon. I know about the possibly of blood clots. Has anyone else gone on a long trip soon afterTKR surgery and if so how did you handle it?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi, i think that trip sounds terrible to do this soon after surgery. you will be very uncomfortable. try to make other arrangements. see if a friend or relative can stay with you while friends away.

best wishes!

• Posted

HI! I had 2 TKRs one and three ears ago . My surgeon was very adamant about not driving or being a passenger on any trip more than 2 hours in duration for the first 8 weeks after surgery due to risk of blood clots, i followed all his instructions even though it meant giving up some things I really wanted to do. GOOD LUCK I hope you can figure this all out!!!

• Posted

I was in hospital with a woman who had a journey of that time to get home after her surgery, so she had no option. The advice given to her was to stop every hour and spend at least 5 minutes walking around. I would also recommend pushing the seat back as far as possible or even sitting in the back if the front seat can lie almost flat so that you can stretch your leg out. Do frequent foot rotations and up and down movements and take some of those instant ice packs in case of swelling.

• Posted

Margie, I am usually an energetic person. However so tired after surgery for weeks. After PT I would have to laydown and rest. Only at 4 months did I start to have some stamina. It will get better. If your tired rest or sleep.

This is a major surgery and traumatic to your body.

4 or 5 hr ride will be hard on you. The knee will stiffen up and ache, unless you can stop and walk around a bit every 1/2 hr. I am now 5 months out and still cannot keep my knee bent in the car for a long ride without hurting. If we had to go on a 2 hr ride to visit family I would lay in the back seat with pillow to elevate my leg.

Sounds like your range of motion is great good for you!

Everyone is different.

Good luck with that.

Jane

• Posted

Thank you Jane for your input. I appreciate your response very much.

• Posted

it depends on you. I had my left knee replaced on May 14th of this year, and took a 6 hr plane trip from Ohio to California on a plane 5 weeks later. My surgeon & PT were leery because it was only 5 weeks out, but he told me to make sure I kept my compression stockings on as much as possible

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.