When is it OK to wriggle your toes?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Is it OK to wriggle you toes 7 days post op. I find myself doing t to make sure I still can, but maybe I shouldn't? Oh dear its so hard knowing what you should and shouldn't do..

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I did soon as I could and did not hurt too much.
  • Posted

Hi there,

I was told by my surgeon to wiggle them straight away and have done so although painful I have been doing them

• Posted

Wriggle as much as you can, also ankle circles, up and down. As much as possible will stop everything will not be as stiff.....that's the theory. I am 6 weeks post op, still stiff and swollen but toes are improving....good luck with it all!
  • Posted

I am now 5 weeks post op and my surgeon said not to wiggle my toes at all. I am due to see him at 6 weeks to find out what I am to do next. I have been in a surgical shoe since the op. I had bunion done and three toes shortened. 
  • Posted

Hi simbacat, I am nearly 6 weeks post op and have been wiggling since surgery. I had a bunion, a hammer toe lengthened and a neuroma removed. After my 2 week check up I have been moving my whole toe to get movement up and down. I have good movement up but not good downwards. Still very stiff and swollen. Got my X-rays and next check up on Tuesday next week. Good luck and hang in there it foes get easier as each weeklies by. Amanda
  • Posted

Hi all, i have been wriggling my toes for few weeks now i am 5 wks post op on tuesday. I have read about putting bio oil on scars do you know how many weeks you allowed to do this as i still have like a scab line. Also on 6 week check shall i take trainers in 
    • Posted

Hi Michelle, you are as far along as I am! I have been putting oil on since about 4 weeks. I think as long as it has healed properly you are ok. I have been using lavender oil or paw paw ointment though. I had a bath last  night with Epsom salts in it and was also advised to take aspirin for a couple of days to help the swelling. I don't know which one did it but feel so much better today, my foot hasn't got sore towards the afternoon or anything. I am also wondering about taking trainers in for my 6 week check up. Amanda
    • Posted

Hi amanda,

I have been told i am only allowed to shower until i see the consultant on the 6th, i have been doing excercises twice a day although toes are stil swollen but no pain just want to put shoes back on now. I have not been told about asprian i may try it thanks for the advice 

Michelle

• Posted

Hi

I went for my 6 week check yesterday and have been discharged, my feet have healed well and can now walk in normal shoes well try as it feels strange, i can go back to work in 2 weeks so hang on in there guys 

Michelle

• Posted

Hi

I hope your healing is going well.  just wanted to mention that we likely all receive different instructions from our Dr., depending on the procedure, state of the feet before operations, age, general health etc... so maybe it's best to call the Dr. for more info.  I'm astounded they are so reserved with their instructions!  I'm nearly 6 weeks post-op for Chevron procedure (in Canada) and still have a pin sticking out of my foot so haven't been able to get it wet.  I saw the pieces on here about wiggling toes so called the Dr...  he said not to wiggle them because the pin could come out prematurely!  Why, oh why don't doctors give out FAQ's or more specific instructions about what to do/not do! 

• Posted

Thanks for the good advice. I am confused about what to do and I am a nurse and I did ask a lot of questions. I am 5 days post op. I was told ok to walk immediately but if sitting keep foot elevated and no mire than 15 mins down in any one hr.. I've been wuggling toes as soon as I could.not sure if that's ok as I too have pin. Had left foot done 20 yrs ag and told to mobilise as much as possible from day 1 and I got excellent result. Advice seems to have changed and I am on blood thinners due to risk if clot with reduced mobility. Had to go out today felt better mentally and foot no worse but swelling is worse ge erally than on days 1 to 3.. Will phone hospital tomorrow to clarify. Good luck everyone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.