When is the right time to go back to work

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey there everyone i just want to speak about when is the right time for me to go back to work.

I have been off since Nov 7th last year.

Had 1st lthr on 9th Dec 2015

Had 2nd rthr on15th Feb 2016

I have been off work since before 1st thr.

I have a meeting in work this week to disguss my phased return when my doctors line runs out in mid July. Although l can't help feeling everyone including my family think l should be back. Like someone once said on this forum nobody cares after 3 months and l don't mean you lot of hippies l mean people that don't understand hip replacement.

I have to say l feel guilty and confused as to if l should be back already and am l the only one thats went through this about work.

I work full time as a bank manager in a admin and call centre l have worked there for 13 going on 14 years.

When l have been off to get all this done its made me think about my career. I know longer have the passion for furthering myself in banking l went as far as l wanted. Its just a job now that was dreading going to in the last year because it was becoming that stressful.

I am.lucky enough to have a choice for the 1st time in.my life of what to do. I could go part time when l go back as there is no longer any need for me to have a full time job as we have no kids and our mortgage is paid off in sept. I have no debt and my husband has a brilliant well paid job working from home. I know it seems l am extremley lucky but l have had to sacrifice a lot to get to this point.

One thing l will say is that l can't not work l will have to find part time work either with something that l really would love to do or voulenteer work with animals. Something that gets me out the house a few days.

But anyway right now at this point l am scared. As l have not got a regular sleeping pattern l wake up berween 1am and 4am every night and move down the stairs and sleep on couch. I still get really sore some days and some days l walk with a worse limp than others.

Is my mind playing tricks on me as it knows l don't really want to go back to were l work but know everyone is thinking l should be back.

How do l get up at half 5 everyday to go to work when l am not yet sleeping normal and still get a lot of days of pain.

Any suggestions or has anyone felt pressured to go back when they don't feel ready and have lost a lot of confidence.

Any help would be appriciated.

My mum.even said to me when l got up from a couch strugglung cause l was stiff. Whats up with you....your limping. Has she forgot altogether l have had both hips replaced in the space of 3 months yet she was so concerned about my sister who has had sinusitus twice in the last month. She said on the phone its a shame for your sister she is getting fed up off being ill...........eh hello l am here l am demented being ill for months. Right there l realised nobody understands how mentally draining this can be apart from us that has been through this. And my husband who is totally supporting any choice l make.

Has anyone else had this problem or anything like it. I want to know l am not the only one that feels invisable to there family and pressured to be back at work because 3 months have passed.

Thanks

Laura

Xx

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had my hip replacement same day as you so I am 14 weeks post-op.  I started back at work last week, I was a bit worried as I am an early morning cleaner at a college and get up at 4.45 and like many on here I still have sleep issues and probably only get 3 to 4 hours actual sleep if I am lucky.  I only work 3 hours a day and it involves a lot of vacuuming including stairs, at a meeting with my line manager it was suggested I do a phased return for 2 weeks.  This involved someone else covering part of my area which I feel bad about as they have their own areas to clean.  Although I am coping well with the actual work, I am still struggling with walking un-aided, and do need to have a rest when I get home.  My decision to go back to work was based more on staff shortages and people having to cover several areas as well as their own than on how I felt.  I think I could have really done with another couple off work.

So go back to work when you feel YOU are ready to, not from any pressure put on you by you employer.

• Posted

Well my meeting went ok l am due back 28th June but it will be a phased return. Hopefully l will be ready .

I personally think l am mentally thinking l am not getting any better and l am not helping myself with recovery as l am not getting enough exercise so l am gonna walk everyday starting today and swim at least twice a week.

I just need my xrays come back clear or l am back to square one. Staying posative though xx

• Posted

how I wish to live close byyou ... we could do those daily walks easily and even looking forward to it... not sure about the swimming as this involves buying a bathing suit ... eek

So you actually are returning to your job sooner ... 

you can tell yourself that, for now, this is what you chose to do .. it is not forever - get yourself physically in good shape so you can work at the animal shelter of your choice ... 

something will come up Laura .. (no.. not another surgery !!!!) -

as my friend Abraham would say : Stop rowing upstream 

• Posted

Well l am not to sure if l will defo return on that date renee l will see how l am.nearer the time. I hope my xrays are clear and l have done my big walk today so feel quite posative. If l keep exercising everyday l should get stronger. As for my job l have not yet decided there is no presssure. I did see a job in my own town with great wages and company car. I have applied. No harm in applying see what happens.

Yes lets hope for no more surgery xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.