When is the right time to reveal endometriosis to guy friend?

Posted , 2 users are following.

This is probably unrelated to the purpose of this forum but because this disease affects fertility and one of the first things people would read online is about fertility issues and painful sex, i am sometimes quite confused about when I should tell a guy i am dating or in a close relationship with about this disease. What are your thoughts especially you singles out there who may already be in relationships or looking for one? thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sharon

Women with endo are all over the spectrum on fertility. Some have got 3 kids all post endo diagnosis and some struggle to have one. Others are infertile. I was infertile by the time I was DXed, had been uber fertile when I was younger.

Ditto for painful sex: never happened to me. Others suffer terribly with it.

Are you experiencing either if these issues now? If not and you were me, I wouldn't mention anything unless things were serious.

It is a hard decision.

• Posted

I am not in a serious relationship but i have a deep fear of "if i don't reveal to a guy who may potentially be interested in me that i have endometriosis and if I like him back and reveal to him later on when we are really close that I have this disease and he decides to not continue the relationship based on what he has read about it" then I will feel very low about myself which is a feeling i want to really avoid. so i seem to have made endo as some sort of bar that if a guy can accept me having it then we can continue to get to know each other towards a serious relationship. i somehow feel that i have the need to warn him of possibilities as i don't know now if i will have painful sex or any other fertility complications. 

• Posted

That makes perfect sense, Sharon. Never was the phrase, "To thine own self be true," more important.

It has been so long since I "dated!" Almost 22 years with the same man

makes it easy to forget. Thinking back even further to the years just after my total hysterectomy, I recall always telling guys pretty early that I had had a hysterectomy & couldn't have kids. It's too long ago for me to remember exactly how many dates in that would've been. I had forgotten about that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.