When is the time right to go back to work?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been signed off work for a total of 9 weeks and am due to go back on the 5th January but everytime I think about it I cannot sleep, feel sick and have panic attacks. I was signed off with having a breakdown and later discovered depression which has got slightly worse. I am seeking counselling which is helping but still feel in no state to be working. My biggest fear is my family not understanding and arguing with them as I know they will think I should be back at work but having dark thoughts and not wanted to see or speak to anyone scares me if I am back at work which is working 50 hours a week in a retail store. I'm so stuck I just needed some advice.

Thankyou

Aimee

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Aimee. If you don't feel ready to go back to work and thinking about it just worsens your mental state then I think you should ask you GP/doctor to sign you off for longer. Do not worry about your parents opinion. If they react in a bad way to you not going back to work then they clearly have little understanding of depression. The other thing you could consider if asking your work for a phased return. Forgive me if you already know what this means but in case you are not familiar it means you would gradually work your way up to your usual hours rather than going straight back to a 50 hour week. A 50 hour a week is far to much for anyone in my opinion but maybe you have your reasons for working that quantity of hours. Good luck Aimee and I wish you all the best. 

• Posted

Yes I understand what you are saying..   I am like this for 'big events' such as holidays, weddings, etc where I tend to over-think.  One thing you need to do is what's best for you not what your family thinks.  My neighbor was off a few months and when she returned, she did start off slow meaning 2-3 days a week.  Or try half days.. Talking with a therapist helps, getting outside for walks is also good as the fresh air clears your mind.  Have you tried acupuncture? If you can, go a couple times- I think this also helps clear the mind.  And talking with a good friend may help ease other thoughts.   

• Posted

Hi Aimee, I think going back to working 50 hours a week is probably not possible for you at the moment. Would your work consider giving you part-time hours to help ease you back in? I would suggest that you do try to go back to work if you can. It's daunting thinking about it and how you will cope, but you might find that it's actually ok, and being able to go in everyday and getting back to normal can be very helpful. Being stuck at home can often make things worse (from experience). 

I think you should contact your boss and explain that you want to come back and give it a go, but you are not up to your usual hours just yet. And if you try it and find it's too much, then at least you will know you are not quite ready. And if your work isn't accommodating in that way then yes, I think a talk with your GP and perhaps a few more weeks off.  And families can certainly add to the pressure but you have to almost block them out. Your health is what is most important, keep reminding yourself of that. Good luck xx

• Posted

Aimee

I would advise you try and get an appointment to see your GP, hopefully before the 5 Jan 218 and explain your return to work. Has your GP signed you of just before Christmas. That may need t be done if yo live in the UK.

However if you are unable to work in the old situation it may be given time you will need to find an appropriate new position. Then you may need too visit the Job Shop and discuss possibilities with the Disability Welfare Officer

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.