When is this going to go away? What to do?

Posted , 7 users are following.

hello everyone,at this point, I've been on 20 mg Celexa for 12 days.first 2 days was ok,than i just noticed im getting really short tempered,quick to get p****d off ,4 days a go i had anxiety attack i end up in ER because my blood pressure was 170/110,and for few last days im getting light-headed and ringing in my ears 1 a day,for like 5 seconds.Im only seeing my doctor in 10 days,should i reduce the dose,? stop taking it? or continue? will this go away soon?if im switching meds,which one should I consider for my anxiet

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chefe

I started Citalopram on 20mg almost a year ago for health anxiety. I'll admit at the start of taking these they do increase anxiety levels as I even suffered from a panic attack in my first week.

I can't say I got short tempted or angry tho but these meds affect people in different ways. For me it actually numbed my emotions once the meds settled.

You are just at the start of these meds as they do take time to work as your brain n body has to get used to them. I started to feel positive effects around the 8-12 week mark which is average. The side effects do eventually subside.

They say 20mg is the correct dose for anxiety but these meds work differently for everyone. If I was you I would stick with the dose for a few weeks and give them a good chance to take affect. If you do decide to reduce though or change meds, just remember it will be like restarting all over again.

• Posted

Hi Carl glad to hear about your positive experience. I too suffer with health anxiety and have am currently on day 24 of these meds but the last week or so has been awful with increased health anxiety making me

worry about different moles and all the aches pains and discomforts in my body along with the sore or burning itchy skin side affects. I cant wait to wake up one morning and not feel anxious

• Edited

Hello chefe, My name is Hugo,all i would like to say is that you are still early to stop taking these pills. All these pills do is keep people in a trance, you are under a substance. unlike other ilicit drugs, most people are on these for years, and when your body builds a tolerance for it(because it will) all they are going to do is prescribe a higher dose. these doctors do not like to hear that you want to come off them. its in there best interest to keep patients on them. its early for you to wing off them

• Posted

yeah I agree,even when i was at that emergency room,when i told the doctor on duty my story and why im on Celexa,even he was surprised and told me that in his opinion my GP ,rushed to put me on long term meds.He said first he should've gave me Lorazepam- Ativan to take on when needed basis,and try psychologist first.i guess i cane across really open minded Doctor!

• Edited

the information you are giving on here only applys to your wife .you should stop giving out negative info when everyone is just trying to look for comfort.my mom and my best friend has been on this med including my self for many years .my mom 25years same dose my friend 20years same dose .me three years same dose .and we do not feel like we are in a trance .these drugs save millions of lifes.just because your wife is having some issue that does not mean the rest on here are having the same or will react the same.sorry about your wife.hope she finds comfort with what ever she decides to do.best wishes

• Posted

Im not trying to make anyone feel bad or trying to put negative thoughts in their heads, but i just dont see where the comfort is when a doctor prescribes a drug to someone for the reat of their lives.

• Posted

hugo can you ask your wifes doctor for the liquid citalopram so she can taper off slowly! citalopram also doesnt agree with me and trying to get off after stupidly taking it for years x

• Posted

whats the difference from taking insulin for the rest of your life?aint no different with mental health.

• Posted

i have to partially agree here with Hugo,Docs are very fast these days to prescribe SSRI 's im the perfect example.instead just suggesting talk therapy for anxiety and maybe as needed meds ,they just get you long time prescription and its done.im not talking here about severe cases of depression,im talking about people like me who just had panic attack and supposedly dealing with anxiety.

• Posted

ive seen so many people end up on several drugs as one drug causes a side effect that they think is an illness so they prescribe another! doctors know nothing about mental health, the only thing i go to them for are blood tests and lumps

• Posted

I understand,sorry for just giving such quick examples of my wifes story lois. yes her case is more severe due to the fact that shes been on cit for 6 yrs. in the beginning she had a panic attack because our son was lost. while at the hospital the doctors just gave her (which at that time was Lexapro) a pill insisting it would help calm her down, not once did they explain to her what type of side effects this would bring.

in conclusion it would of been better for the doctors to sugggest therapy first. just my thoughts. im just trying to ween her off them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.