When My Boyfriend Plays Video Games A LOT

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm not trying to sound pathetic or anything. I'm just not sure what to do about the way I feel when my boyfriend plays video games all day. It makes me feel like I'm not that interesting or important. 

My boyfriend is YOUNG, and I understand that most young guys our age (18-years old), play video games a lot. But when I say he plays video games a lot, this is no exaggeration. He plays video games minutes after he wakes up. Whenever he is p*ssed off with me, he immediately moves away from me and plays a video game. If he is already beside me and playing a video game, he'll sit in a chair right in front of the TV and his PS3. 

I feel like I'm just being pathetic, but from 9ish at night last night, up until about 7 in the morning, he was playing video games. I don't know what to do. I only had 2 day's to spend with him and I feel like all I'm doing is wasting my time. He left my house after 2 day's, saying he wasn't feeling well (back pain, neck pain, throat pain, headache). 

What should I do?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I may not be very useful in this situation because my tolerance towards partners who are too easily distracted from their partners is extremely low, but definitely know that a relationship should be mutual. You deserve infinite more attention than he gives to his games.
    • Posted

According to a couple of other people, who know him personally, he's always been crazy about video games. 
  • Posted

kayla you might not like my post but your boyfriend is a immature little boy ! im sorry but you want someone you can have fun with go on nights out not stuck in front of the the tv with him playing games ! i would give him a ultimatum and tell him he needs to start acting like a adult and not a boy ! take care and hope everything works out david

• Posted

I had a boyfriend who did this I'm going to be honest and you might not like it but things very rarely change he should be giving you more attention than his games and if he isn't doing it now then he may never do and most likely will never do. Im speaking from experience you deserve better
  • Posted

My boyfriend also like his games but I can get him away from them sometimes when I say that we should really be doing something else together and he has other things going on in his life which is good. Playing all night is not healthy and it sounds like he has a real problem especially if he has nothing else going on. Also the symptoms you said he was compling about when he left sound like they have been directly caused by gaming too much! If his attitude if effecting your self esteem then I'm sorry but you have to ask yourself how worthwhile the relationship is. I'm sure you're not boring, if anything he's the one whose boring! Don't let him pull you down with him, get out there and experience new things and if he won't go with you it might be time to go your seperate ways.
    • Posted

He does spend time with me, but in between, he has days where he will make me something to eat, get me something to drink, say he loves me, hugs me & kisses me, but he plays games, most of the time.
    • Posted

You deserve better that a part time boyfriend! Say to him you want to do more things together and see if you can get him out of the house. If you truely love someone you want to be a part of their world too and experience different things together. As I sit here writing this my boyfriend is playing a game lol but he is always open to doing other things
    • Posted

The thing is, we don't currently have transportation or money, & he lives in a ghetto area. But you know, I'm gonna talk to him about taking walks with me, here & there. smile
    • Posted

I hope all goes well but you bf will be stuck in the same position year after year if he doesn't try new things and that could drag you down with him 
  • Posted

Oh Kayla, please get away from this young man he's obviously got no ambition to do anything with his life, do you really want to be sitting in the same position next year? You should be out enjoying your youth there's so many things to see and places to go, let him sit playing games for however long it takes him to grow up, spread your wings and find someone who has ambition and is interested in you and not the TV, aim higher you sound like a lovely girl don't settle for second best you're worth more.
  • Posted

Get rid of him as he has no time to spend being your bf.  You are not pathetic - he is.   I hope he gets great satisfaction out of his video games coz he has no time for anything real in his life.  You deserve much better than this.  He is a loser and a waste of space.  Ditch him and get your life back.  x
  • Posted

I was with a guy who was the same, but I also play games most of the time. Everyone saying 'dump him' and 'he's pathetic' are being ridiculous.

I'm sorry to say this but my ex never told me he loved me, the only time he seemed happy with me is if we were playing games together.

Your boyfriend is 18 mine was 22 and was working as a gymnastics coach. He was a grown man.

If you do not like him playing games you need to figure out with him, maybe try to take an interest into his gaming instead being hurt by it. There are far worse things he could be doing, I think people who have replied to you are doing nothing more than reinforcing your idea that what he is doing is 'wrong'. Is it fair on you? I don't know, I don't know your relationship but I do know that from his point of veiw, he cares about you and makes sure you know it by telling you. 

Gaming does not make you 'immature' I'm afraid, people do what they enjoy. 

I just don't agree with the running theme that an 18 year old boy shouldn't be playing games. If he enjoys it and still does nice things for you, what is the true issue? Considering how many times I've been treated like scum and cheated on by boyfriends, I would prefer they be passionate about gaming than getting high/drunk every night doing god knows what.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way. I just want you to see the bigger picture. It's not a big deal to him, it's just fun. From what you've said he seems like a decent human being.

• Posted

I have to disagree with you there.  The point is he is playing online games all the time leaving little for his gf and leaving her very lonely.   She is looking for more attention. 

I think people who spend their lives playing online games are very immature and need to grow up.  You can't have a relationship with someone when they are absent from it!  

You sound like you don't expect much out of a relationship.  You deserve better as we all do.   Maybe if you expect more you will get more?  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.