When no more surgery is offered no more answers ,anyone else in this situation ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Still very bad with this sciatica , don't know who to turn to next , surgery is ruled out , I've got a brick wall yet have all still severe symptoms ,anyone else in same boat ,or any advice ...life can't stay like this ..

Thanks mimm xxxx

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi  Mimm,

I feel your pain In my situation I had Hip revision and now have sciatic nerve damage from that surgery . The hip surgery was 5 years ago and my sciatic nerve has still not repaired, So I made appointment with neurosurgeon last week I went and saw him  he told me that if he did surgery that would not help with my sciatic nerve or leg pain because my nerve was damaged in the hip surgery . He also looked at my mri said I have arthritis in my back , He did order another mri just to make sure nothing has changed. So now I know Im stuck with this unbelievable nerve pain which pain meds and nerve meds I have all meds either to sensitive to the meds.  they just don't work for me.  Make sure you get second opinion if you haven't already that's what I did so now I know I need to learn to live with chronic pain . Hope you get some answers 

Take Care

Jackie

• Posted

Hi Jackie

I'm on pain killers I had a decompression last year first day was fantastic then I woke up it was back , im going to drs this week see if I can get some help but to be honest there useless , I feel for you knowing Ur in so much pain also ,it's like hitting a brick wall these people have no idea the pain ..

Thank you mimm xx

• Posted

Hello mimm,

I couldn't agree more the pain is horrible. The pain effects personal life professional life as well . some of these doctors look at me like I'm crazy. I'm on permanent disability lost my job depression is another problem. I hope you get answers don't give up let me know how your doing. I must say the injections did nothing for me either .

Hang in there

Jackie

• Posted

Does anyone know what's causing the sciatica?  Why has surgery been ruled out?

The sciatic nerve exits the spine at L4/L5, runs through L5/S1 and then down through your hip and glutes, and finally down your leg.  The problem can be at L4 through S1 from a disc bulge or bone spur (my case once), misaligned hips or locked SI joints (my case many times), and other factors.  There has to be a cause.  Has anyone found out what it is in your case?

• Posted

Hi Chico

I had decompression on L4/5 last year pain free aday , the Dr adamant there's nothing to be done , I had steroid injection a few weeks back didn't help..

I'm going to drs this week see if I can get more help from some where ..some one must be able to help me ..

Thanks mimm xx

• Posted

So you had the decompression but it worked for a day and the pain came back?  I know that my guy went in and found the bone spur while doing the laminectomy.  If the pain returned gradually over time that would be something else.  This sounds like the surgeon didn't find and correct the cause of the pain.

The "gold standard" spine test is a CT/Myelogram with contrast.  I think that would be a good thing to do to see what's going on in there.  I would also suggest a different surgeon who could look at this with new eyes.  This one sounds like he/she doesn't want to deal with a possible miss.

The pain doc is correct...no shot or med is going to fix this.  You may want to look into a diagnosis for foraminal stenosis (yeah, I've had that too).  Occurs when the vertebrae are too close and the foramina (the small canals the nerve roots run through) compress the nerve root.  I had this at L2/L3...could barely walk.  Doc fixed it with a Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion (LLIF) where they drill out the disk, implant a cute little device and then expand it like a car jack.  Immediate relief, one night in the hospital, no brace, no rehab.  Miracle op.  Pic attached.

You have to find a doc who will find the actual cause since the decompression didn't work.  CT/M and a second opinion from a different doc.

• Posted

Have they ruled out an epidural? Physical therapy? If so, do you have a pain center near you? I dont have any other advice .
    • Posted

Hi avie

I had a steroid injection it worked for a week , the Dr who gave to me said that it was not the answer ? I said wat no disrespect but what am I supposed to do with that answer , I am going to make appointment back at my drs as I need help with it ..

Thanks for replying mimm xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.