When one has BPH does the prostate grow until it completely constricts urethra

Posted , 9 users are following.

When one has BPH does the prostate grow until it eventually completely constricts the urethra or does it usually and typically get to a certain size stop growing?

I have had BPH symptoms for about 2 1/2 years. I only take alfuzosin. It works okay (refused take any other drugs or surgery). But the effectiveness of the alfuzosin seems to be decreasing or my prostate is growing. That's why I'm asking this question.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Bad news Brother.....

The prostrate continues to grow, and can lead to complete blockage of the urethra (AUR). Welcome to the Blog. Search, read, learn, laugh & cry.... it's all here. We are searching too.

Chuck

• Posted

Prostates grow at different rates. they can progress in a linear fashion or stop and start - go fast then slow. Best to go by your symptoms. Sometimes men with big prostates pee fine and others with smaller ones don't.

If you're starting to have issues that impact your life, you could get a scope and urodynamics test to see what's up. But if its progressing you'll probably need to do something more than drugs eventually.

• Posted

Ihad BPH eventually had turp procedure after 19 months with catheter now catheter free trauma spasms for 3 months after procedure my GP recently introduced me to tamsulusin my life improved 1000 % been unable to work for 24 months meeting with my employer on monday ready to return to work HAPPY CHAPPY

• Posted

Hyatt,

The prostate continues to grow. Finasteride can be taken to stop the growth and shrink the prostate. I had total blockage from a median lobe obstruction and was in acute urinary retention (AUR). In the case of the median lobe, it can bend the urethra just beneath the bladder outlet resulting in total blockage. My Rezum procedure cleared the blockage without resulting in any ED or RE.

Steve

• Posted

My urology consultant told me that the symptoms can stabilize, get worse, or sometimes even improve. I managed on tamsulosin and dutasteride for years with deteriorating symptoms before eventually having a bipolar turp which finally cured the problem. Before I had the operation my policy was to avoid surgery if I could, but eventually I couldn't. Afterwards I wished I'd had it done before.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.