When pain affects family life

Posted , 4 users are following.

Neck pain, headache etc affect family life a lot but I can usually get by with painkillers etc however now pain has spread to lower back and it is causing more problems. We have been saving for years to take my 10 year old son to Disney in Paris later this year but standing for a long time causes a lot of pain in my lower back and my back seizes up so I contacted them to see if I could get a fast past to avoid queuing for too long for rides. Apparently you can only get one if you are registerd disabled. I said I would happily bring a letter/medical certifcate from my doctor but apparently thats not good enough you have to be disabled. To me this is just anothe example of how this type of illness if misunderstood. If I stand for too long the pain is excruciating so now we wil have to call the trip off unless I can convince my son to let his dad take him without me. Has anyone else had any similar problems or know of any advice/help I could get with this?

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I really appreciate where you are coming from. Over the last two years I have had so much pain and have had to cancel so many things because of it.  I hvae come to realise that adapting is the best way forward. Perhaps you can go with on the trip, but only go on the rides that don't have the longest queues. How would you feel if you did cancel the trip and were sitting at home feeling guilty and miserable? Proabably worse! Go ahead with the trip. Let your son go on the rides with his dad, and go to the park with them.  Maybe sit and watch the rides which are going to have long queues, so you can still see your son's face when he comes off the rides. Go and have a lovely meal together as a family and stay in a lovely hotel. Do the things you CAN do, and avoid the things which will make the pain worse.  It's all about comporomise and setting yourself new limits. It's impossible to do all the things you used to do, but if I've really had a bad day and have done what I was going to do anyway, at least I feel a sense of achievement, even if the pain is bad. Distraction is a great help. This was what a friend told me who has suffered with back pain far longer than me. She is a real inspiration to me and has changed my way of thinking! Keep in touch!

• Posted

I was going to suggest bringing a little collapsible camping chair with you.  But now I've read Brevis' response,  I'll just second that opinion.  It's good advice...but only if you know it won't be too much for you.  Let your family know beforehand  that ,  if you feel rough,  you will pull out of any activity that day.  That way, you'll still be available for the not so bad days,  and can enjoy some of the holiday.
  • Posted

Rachel, you don't want to miss the opportunity, so why not find if you can hire a wheelchair. The queues are long, my daughter wwent last year.

I suppose if they let people bring letters lots would do it.

I missed out on so much with my family when they were young.

• Posted

Hi Rachel

Don't know much about the passes/disability issue,  but thought I'd comment on lower back issue.  This is quite common with C/S, usually due to the lower back compensating for cervical neck issues.  I used to get it a lot as a decorator,  particularly if working lower down,  or like you,  when I had to stand in queues etc.  Could be worst on hard floors like museum tiles,  or even at the bar.  I found that using a memory foam topper mattress was really good for not allowing any aches to not become 'cyclical',  i.e; continue day after day.  Also found that doing anything lower down,  on haunches,  if I used something small to sit on (a paint tin in my case),  it really stopped pain from kicking in.  Same for any gardening etc.  Usually,  with the standing issue,  a quick sit in a proper chair would relieve the pain,  but back to standing...the pain would reappear.  I also used to get burning numbness in thigh...don't know if same for you.

Have to say,  the memory foam has halved the problem,  and I seldom get it now.  It used to be a worry for me.  Obviously,  I don't know the details of any particular LBP issue you might have,  but just thought, if similar,  you might find the tips useful.

• Posted

hey rachel, i too agree with everybody, you should go, dont let this awful illness take over, you control it, go on your holiday and blooming well enjoy yourself, you show cs that you can do it, i bet your little boy would rather see you waiting for him at the end of the ride than not be there at all, hope that helps love tracey x
  • Posted

Thanks everyone that has given me plenty to think about I definetly feel more hopeful about going now.x
    • Posted

So I guess there won't be a spare ticket going for free ????  Seriously,  give it a go,  it usually works out somehow.  But I know what it's like,  worrying etc.  I usually tell everybody,  general rule,  that I only decide on the day.  Takes them some time to get used to the idea,  because it differs from the way they plan stuff....but,  makes it a lot easier to pull out if necessary,  with no sense of 'guilt',  and no lingering feeling of letting anyone down.  Works for me.
    • Posted

thats great  just remember all of us over here in this wonderful weather lol , hope you have a wonderful time. love tracey xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.