When people don't understand Mono?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi,

This is mainly just a rant topic. 

Since having this virus, and opening up about it to a few people, only two fully understand what mono is and how it works. 

I've had some friends think that mono can heal itself within a week or two. 

I've had people thinking that they have caught it from me within a week. (Even though no contact with salvia was performed). 

It kind of annoys me, as my symptoms have now come back, and I'm still struggling. Every day, I pray that today will be the last day. Sometimes, I wish it would just kill me so I don't have to wake up to another day in pain. (I know that sounds a little dramatic). 

Have you guys experienced anything like this while struggling with mono?

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My family thinks I made it up and faking it because 'mono can't last that long'

• Posted

I wouldn't even tell my family tbh. My parents think it's all in my head. When I was 16 I had my first stomach and bowel problems. They laughed at me and called me a hypochondriac for months until i stopped telling them I felt sick and stopped going to the doctor. Years later I'm showing signs of possible chrones after 12years of chronic problems.. it's defo not all in my head 🙈 and I've been dealing with tummy issues for a long time.. anyway I learned a long time ago not to talk about how I'm feeling especially to family. They don't get it. But jeez why in the heck would we make this stuff up?? 😣

• Posted

Thanks. I'm taking those and also eating pro-biotic foods too. It has defo helped in the last few months. I think my gastritis is gone. Or at least I hope it won't come back

• Posted

Hey Butterfly,

I totally agree, most people don't have a proper understanding of how the virus affects you and how debilitating it can be. Because it's something that you can't see and it's not recognised widely as a long standing thing, most people don't really get it. And the thing that's worst of all for me is that many GPs and doctors don't seem to get it, and think that you should be fully recovered within 4-6 weeks or 6-8 weeks. This may be the case for some people, especially younger people, but unfortunately it can take longer for some people too.

Hope that people on the site being understanding offers some comfort, but I know it's really frustrating! Hang in there - things will get better in time.

Craig

• Posted

I don't talk about it to anyone. I tried to explain it to my parents but they don't understand. They think it was the same as a getting a cold and that I'm exaggerating. Also I don't want people to think that I have a virus and that I'm contagious (I guess I don't want to scare them.) It's a very personal struggle. Some days are better and some days are worse. 

I have to admit that the first 2 weeks were the worst but I still have some lingering issues that make me feel miserable. People think that I'm ok because I'm not as sick as I was the first week, but I still struggle every single day. 

It's strange because I feel like a different person... I'm skinnier and quieter. I've noticed that I don't enjoy going out anymore and I'd rather stay home. I don't even enjoy food. I wake up in the morning feeling a little better than the day before and I get more optimistic, but as the day goes on, I feel pain and I lose all that optimism and I'm right back at where I started, it's so frustrating.

I really wish it never happened to me but it's pointless. Sometimes I think it wouldn't matter to me if I died but moments later I feel guilty for thinking that way. I don't know... it's as if the virus took something away from me. I'm just waiting to get it back, I want to feel good again. 

• Posted

I feel exactly the same. It feels like it possesses you, and then leaves you feeling empty. 

I really hate this virus with a passion. I want it to go away. 

• Posted

Hey Dan / Butterfly,

Really feeling your pain with it all....it's so hard to cope with and deal with and understand what's happening to your body and mind when going through it. I just want to offer some hope and encouragement that there is an end to the illness, things do get better given time and there is light at the end of the tunnel, and you will be able to return to a full and active life again - just remember that but I know it's not easy at all when in the midst of it and dealing with the struggles. Hang in there - I was in the same boat thought it would never go away, but it did.

Craig

• Posted

Did anyone feel guilty about taking time off work because of GF? I had today from work due to nausea and exhaustion, ended up sleeping nearly all the day away, even though I had a decent night sleep the last night. I just feel so guilty about it, it's eating up at me. 

• Posted

It's awful, isn't it? It's like it's laughing at you. Live for the day i can laugh back at it.

• Posted

Yess it is sad(. And to make it worse the days I suck it up and go to school , I feel weird. Like disoriented and like I'm not as focused as anyone. Do you ever feel that way at work ? 

• Posted

Don't feel guilty. It's out of your control. I feel like this past year has just gone by so fast and I've had many bad days and I felt guilty when my kids played on the floor while I was hopeless and there were days all through the summer where we hardly left the house but on the good days I make up for it and always do something fun with them. We just got back from a 2day mini holiday and they loved it. You can only do your best and right now it's important that you rest to get better.

• Posted

So that means eventually it'll get better ? I'm glad to hear you were able to make up for it with your kids !! Gives me hope. Idk how I'm suppose to keep going to school feeling like this sad

• Posted

Oh yes, definitely. For me, it's like I'm not even in reality. I just feel like an empty shell walking around, doing daily activities with no idea of what's going on around me or what I'm meant to be doing. 

Some people might think 'Oh, it's just laziness.' I'd be lying if I hadn't called myself that a million times. But, I can't help it. I would stop it if I knew how. 

• Posted

Hey Butterfly,

It's horrible to have to be off work, but try not to feel guilty it is totally understandable and unavoidable. It's the sensible thing to do when not feeling well, your body does need time and space to recover from this virus, just take things day at a time. I know the feeling too it's horrible having to be off work, just hoping everyone here can get back to full fitness and a full and active lifestyle - I believe that will happen thanks to Jesus' healing.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.