When shall I start Mirtazapine?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Iv been prescribed mirtazapine for anxiety as my last attempt to find something that helps that doesn't cause ED, i am currently on pregabalin which isnt doing anything for me. I hear a lot that when people first start this med it can knock them out for a long time, I have work tomorrow shall I have a early nite it won't make me sleep through my alarm clock will it? I don't have much faith in this med because it mainly used for depression which I do get from time to time, but anxiety is my Demond, any advise in starting this med would great smile

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm on mirtazapine 15 mg. which is the lowest potency. I take it at bedtime. It has never caused me to not

hear my alarm clock. but It does make me sleepy in the afternoon.I try to work through that when I can. As with most medications it takes awhile to feel the benefits usually a few weeks.. A friend has been taking 30 mg. per day for several years and says that it has saved her life. She had been very depressed. In my case it is not anxiety problem but more like depression.

• Posted

If it were me I would wait till the night before a non-work day, just in case. I started on 15mg with no adverse effects, no drowsiness, good sleep and woke feeling normal, not drugged. I'm also taking pregabalin but for diabetic neuropathy, tho I don't think it does much! I only read recently that it can be used for depression.

Remember that you need to take it for a good 3 weeks before feeling any benefits.

• Posted

Thanks both for your replies, the thing is katlewhick is I want to bite the bullet and get it over and done with, waiting is just making me more anxious
  • Posted

Hello, its upto you if you start tonight. It will and should make you very sleepy very quick the first few times and yes tomorrow morning you might find it Harder to wake yourself up but once your up and had a few teas/coffees you should be good to go. I started put on 30mg and the drowsy grogginess lasted 3-5days and then I got more tolerant of it and easily take at 10pm and can stay up until midnight if I want! I can also wake during night if my son needs me. I'm now on 45mg. Believe itor not...its less sedating in higher doses...although I haven't noticed. I still sleep through! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.