When should I return to work.

Posted , 5 users are following.

My laproscopic gb removal is scheduled for Monday November the 2. I'm a medical assistant, fast paced, on my feet, getting vitals and walking about 3-5 miles daily with work. Do you all think I will be ready to return to work  in 7 days? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had mine out three weeks ago.  The key IMO and what the doctor/nurses stressed to me was to WALK WALK WALK, do not sit around, I was walking twice a day the first day of surgery AND DRINK 64 ounces of water every day, Im still doing that.  I felt my entire first week like I was punched in the stomach badly.  I think you can go back to work after 7 days but you won't be walk quickly AND you should not be bending down a lot to pick things off the floor.  By your third week you should be back to normal.  Be careful the first month, no fatty foods, your body needs time to adjust without a GB.  Good Luck!
  • Posted

Thanks for the response. Hopefully I will be ready able to keep up in clinic. 
  • Posted

Depends whether you have keyhole surgery or the bigger op.

Recovery period for keyhole is 3 weeks, bigger op is 6 weeks.

Remember you will not be able to lift during recovery period.

I would say a week is really pushing it.

Good luck with the op

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Hi I just had my gallbladder removed on the 27 of Oct. My doctor doesn't want me lifting anything for 3 weeks. Give your body time to heal.. Thanks.
  • Posted

On my first full day home I still felt weak from the op (I had keyhole last April).  I'm 67 and work from home so it's a little different; however, had I been going out to work I would not have been able to return to work much before three weeks post op.   I also felt very weepy the first day.   I would advise you to take the time to really let your body recover, and yes, you do need to walk about and drink water - that's very important, but you also need to balance that with plenty of rest: your body needs to heal.   Best wishes to you for tomorrow's op.
  • Posted

Thanks for the honest advice. I will take the proper time to heal. I'm going to take 2 weeks at least. Thanks everyone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.