When should I stop using my stick

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey everyone,

I am 6 and a half weeks post op (posterior uncemented ceramic) and am just wondering when I should try and walk unaided?

I am using one stick at the moment but I am still leaning on my stick for support.

My worry is I had a limp for 3 years before having the op done, and I want to try my best to get rid of it.

If I try without my stick the I wobble side to side and have to go really slowly. Will it just be that one day I will wake up and be able to walk unaided or should I be practicing even if I have a limp.

Many to as in advance

Jacqui

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Jacqui,

When I had my staples removed at two weeks post-op, I used my cane to go to the appointment. At the time, my surgeon advised me to use the 2-wheel walker indoors because it helps you to return to a normal gait. I find this to be so true.

I'm now 5 weeks post-op and can manage without an assistive device in the house,although I do grab the walker sometimes just for the exercise. Five days ago, I returned to the pool - not swimming - walking in the shallow end and treading water in the deep end. Also, drove the short distance to the pool myself this morning, which was a big step forward.

A friend kindly loaned me her 4-wheel walker for walking outdoors or at the mall; without it, I'm not be able to walk too far.

My Physiotherapist gave me specific, manageable exercises to do on a daily basis several months prior to the THR;  I continue to do them every day. It's important. I know I still have many weeks of healing ahead of me. I'm 72-years old.

Good luck with your recovery. I wish you well.

P.S. Last January, long before the surgery, my husband installed a handrail on the wall opposite the banister going upstairs. It had been a challenge to get upstairs. This has made a tremendous difference and comes in particularly handy post-op. 

• Posted

I am a huge fan of walkers too. Sounds as if you are doing well. Good work. L
    • Posted

Aw thank you so much, I was never given a walker being in the UK. I was straight on crutches. Hmmm maybe a look on Amazon 😊
  • Posted

Oops, the railing picture came out upside down, Sorry Jacqui.
  • Posted

I am glad so many people are pro-walkers here.  Sometimes I feel like I should be 'beyond' the walker outside except that I know I walk much better with it.  I can walk longer and I can walk without a limp.  So I'll keep it up.  thanks!  Leslie

• Posted

Will be 6 weeks post op this Thursday for me 

I am taking out patient therapy , has been recommended to use walker for longer walks and outside , but can start using cane in my home 

Still following my precautions , and doing the at home excersises daily .

I absolutely HATE the partial squats. Lol 

My main issue is I am having so much pain in my muscles around my incision , I can't even sleep on that side yet 

• Posted

Hi Jeannie -- I'm glad to hear the out-patient therapy is recommending using walkers for outside.  I'm going to keep up with mine.  I have less and less pressure on the handles all the time but I can walk further and with no limp when I have the walker.             I'm still sleeping on my back.  I find the incision area still sore so haven't tried sleeping on it yet.  Luckily it's not too bad sleeping on my back....I thought I would hate it!

• Posted

Hi Leslie,

Glad you are happy with the walker - it helps keep our balance even and even small LLD can affect this ...

Best wishes,

L

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.