When should I take Venlafaxine when there is an 8 hour time difference?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone.

I am currently on 150mg Ven and have been on this dose for 3 months now.

We are going away to the States for three weeks holiday (west coast) in July and I just wondered what I should do about the large time difference, with regards to taking my med?

I usually take it at home every morning about 7.30am, straight after my breakfast.

I asked my GP but she didn't seem very clued up about it and got herself a bit confused!

Any advice on this, especially from people who have had to take Ven whilst on holiday, would be much appreciated!

Thanks. 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bookworm13.

Hope you are doing well!

It ius tricky for a GP because GPs suck at this. True story smile

Two options:

You can start inching it up closer to noon or lunchtime a couple of weeks before your trip and then take it in the morning at your normal time throughout your stay in the USA as you will be there more than a few days (have a great time by the way!). You can't take it at night (to keep your home schedule) for those 3 weeks because it may disturb your nights. So better to adjust your body to the new timezone. By taking it at this time, once you are back home you can resume noon administration and then shift back to morning after a few days.

The other option is to skip one dose there and back, taking it in the morning at home, then the next morning in US. And same when returning. Simpler but fast shift in your normal rhythm and may (or may not) bother you. 

I would recommend the first approach which may also help your body adjust to new timezone easier smile

• Posted

"You can start inching it up closer to noon or lunchtime a couple of weeks before your trip and then take it in the morning at your normal time "

normal time but local time US - not sure if i was clear. x

• Posted

Hi Purpledobermann,

Hope all is ok with you too!

Right. This sounds similar to what a friend of mine suggested.

She said to inch it up by an hour over a few days till around lunchtime (maybe up till 1.30pm -2pm) so that my current time would be "breakfast" in the US west coast and then when I get there, just to take it at around 7.30am local time.

I understand what you are saying when I get back too - keep taking it around lunchtime for a few days after I get back and then return to the 7.30am as normal. 

Thanks for this! X

• Posted

I had a similar dilemma when I went to Florida. I just took my meds when I got up in the morning and night time meds at the usual time. It didn't seem to make any difference

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.