When should I worry about malabsorption?

Posted , 6 users are following.

i have recently started noticing floating yellow stools (not everyday but often) and i have been struggling with constipation for the past few weeks. stools are always soft despite this. other symptoms i have are cramps at the sides of my navel and around my hipbones and bouts of diarrhea. i have always had weird stools but i am worried it is malabsoprtion this time as i have not been able to gain weight despite trying. i even went down from 100lbs to 97lbs which i suppose could be normal and random but i am still worried as i am eating lots and calculating calories to make sure i am eating enough. when should i worry about weight loss?

currently waiting for endoscopy as i have been struggling with gerd symptoms as well and doc thinks i might have ibs but i have not had enough tests to decide. i have also had lots of gas recently. not sure if i should book an appointment about these symptoms or if i am exaggerating...?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like IBS.which can be caused by anxiety and made worse by stress. The very best you can do is to wait for your endoscopy and do not worry. Anxiety will make your symptoms worse and can cause weight loss. I wouldn't bother calculating calories because that is giving you something to worry about. Simply eat normally and don't concentrate on what you are eating. Discuss your worries with your doctor and ask if your endoscopy can be brought forward.

• Posted

Hi Maria. You definitely must tell your GP about these symptoms as they seem to strongly suggest bile acid malabsorption (I have this). In the meantime, try to limit your fat intake to no more than 40 grams per day. Good luck!

• Posted

Malabsorption typically causes diarrhoea but it depends on what you have eaten etc. that can determine the colour. Pale, greasy, floating stools all indicate fat content.

• Posted

i have not really had diarrhea recently, just frequent stools. i guess it can still be a sign of malabsorption

• Posted

Hi Michele.does bile acid reflux cause weight loss? I can't seem to gain weight either but only lose. My stools usually.have a greasy look also.The color is rarely rich brown but mainly light and green color.

• Posted

Definitely don't ignore these symptoms, anytime there is unwanted weight loss and a change in bowel habits it's worth a deeper look. Not trying to worry you it could be IBSD which unfortunately in this day is becoming more and more prevalent due to environmental issues. Get it checked out to be sure. Good luck and let us know what your doctor said!

• Posted

thank you! will phone my doctor. i do not think it is ibs - d as i am constipated very often

• Posted

Hi Maria..did you ever follow up with your Dr? What was the diagnosis?

• Posted

hi! I had a gastroscopy yesterday to rule out any damage from gastritis etc and they found nothing. my weight went up a bit again and i have not been worried about malabsoprtion lately. they say i have ibs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.