When should we start physiotheraphy and swimming?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello,

When should we start physiotheraphy after THR?

I had an operation 2 weeks ago, the physiotherapist told me to get physiotheraphy after 5 weeks, for a month.

In the meantime I am doing the exercises she gave me.I would like to hear about your experiences.

Also she said I can swim after one week.

But I dont know how I can get in and out of the Pool because of the stairs?

Any advice?

Thanks

Desire

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

The conflicting advice and variable lack of support never cease to amaze me. Where abouts are you ?

I hope you had some time in hospital with the physio to check how you used crutches walking and on stairs, how to get into bed and to sit etc? Even given an exercise sheet they need to check you are doing them correctly. As far as swimming goes there are three points. Firstly it depends when you can get your scar wet, Then getting into the pool- try to go at the quietest time  (e.g. lunchtime), go with someone to give you confidence, explain to the lifeguard what the situation is, if there is a hand rail with the steps you may find it easier to go down backwards and in any case with all stairs operated leg goes down first, there is no reason why you cannot put one crutch in the water -in the free hand and discard it when you are down. With no hand rail I think it would be too risky . When you get there hold on to the side and get to water depth at waist level or just higher and walk across the pool if possible or just keep walking up and down the side if it is too inconvenient for other swimmers. Walk backwards. sideways, normal steps, big strides.

Actual swimming - I did back crawl arms with a float between my knees for several months or held the float and did gentle leg kicks.The consultant said to build up the leg kick very gently and it was a year before I let go completely. Breast stroke with its hip movement is not good. .

• Posted

Hi

i started my physio a week after my operation and weekly ever since.  I'm now four weeks after the operation and intend to continue for a further five weeks and possibly after that.  The physio has built on the exercises given by the hospital and then depending on progress added new ones.  At week one she showed me how to use to one crutch and then a stick at two weeks and soon after I went down to no walking aids.  For me it's helpful to know how far I can push what I am doing and to measure the progress I am making.  

I can't comment from personal experience on the swimming but know you should only try this if the scar is completely sealed and apparently no breast stroke.

sara

• Posted

Desire

I think jomary's reply covered most things. I was worried about approaching the pool steps as that might have been slippery but the tiles were quite good.

I went in via the ladder in the shallow end putting quite a bit of weight on my arms and that was fine.

I think you also need to be careful changing afterwards with wet floors and crutches.

But it's good exercise.

Mike

• Posted

Dear Desire

I have always understood that it is considered to be important to get moving on the hip ASAP and that usually this is the same day as the surgery or the very next day.

At my recent revision I was given several sheets of exercises to do as soon as I felt able and sent home having done the stairs test first. When I had my original hip surgery in 1997 all I did was walk around the ward with two walking sticks, shown how to use the stairs then sent home and told to walk and that was it!

I made a fantastic recovery totally pain free from what I remember.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

I just saw my hip surgeon on Tuesday and asked him about swimming. NO swimming for 6 months he said and definitely no breastroke - ever.  I can't believe your physio is telling you this...please check again with your doctor

• Posted

Dear Maureen

Interesting but very extreme. I wonder what his reasons were for not swimming for the first six months.

Prior to the revision of my twenty year old hip joint I was swimming something over half a mile every other day doing the breaststroke and I asked my surgeon if it would have contributed to the wearing out of the plot fitting which was the part that wore out and he said no.

I have asked when I may return to doing the breaststroke and was told six months post op.

Cheers Richard

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi Maureen i was alowed swim after 6 weeks but not

breaststroke. But not in ocean only in pool. I was not alowed to do frog leg.

Madla

• Posted

Hi Maureen, that's unusual advice re swimming. I was cleared to swim at my 7 week check up, and was back doing breaststroke at 6 months. It all feels fine.

• Posted

Hi Judith...well, he's a young doctor, definitely not conservative but he was adamant about breastroke.  He trained in the US at the Mayo clinic so I think I shall follow his advice.  He was reluctant about swimming generally, but as I said before, he said that breastroke puts too much torsion on the hip joint and should be avoided.  I am disappointed but I trust him.  He is a top surgeon at one of the most expensive private hospitals in Thailand, trained in Canada and the US.  He only does the anterior approach and has done well over 100 - I saw him last week and he said he does 5/week.  I think for me I feel it's not worth the risk.  But everyone has to make their own decision

• Posted

Hi Desire, It all depends where you have your op, what country you live in, I am in the UK, I had my op on the NHS so did not get physio till 4 weeks post op, just did the ecercises and walked each day as told by physio. Then I had one 2 weeks later and manage to get their lower limb 6 class for 6 weeks which was brilliant once a week for an hour. had physios on hand to help you and make sure you did exercises right. As for swimming most public pools have a chair hoist here which you can ask to use. 

I think I would have definately benefitted for more physio, quicker, if you swim dont forget no breast stroke legs allowed whilst you are healing. Good luck x

• Posted

Physio's started me on physio exercises as soon as I stood up day after surgery, but very very gently, leg swing, standing next to bed, only about 4 or 5 swings, then using end of bed, stand up stright and stretch leg out to the side, back in bed, as exhausted, feet stretch and far as I could go, then toes back towards knees as far as I could go, then knees up a little from the bed,maybe only 4 inches, then push knees down into the bed hard as I could without hurting myself

too much.

handed me a worksheet with these exercises  and some extra ones. Even started on them as soon as I was able.

Standing at the kitchen sink or bathroom sink, dip like a curtsy, but double knees, only about a couple of inches for a start, then stand up straight again, I found this a really big help and so easy to do, just built up the number of repeats, until I was doing maybe 20 dips at a time or more, and legs started to hurt, enough.

there are web sites out there, look for post hip surgery exercises, and pick the ones that say they are from a ortheo hospital.

Swimming, don;t even consider it until you have healed over completly, not worth the risk of an infection, I went swimming, in reality doing my exercises as they gave me more weight to push against, and then getting in the deep end with a floaty and treading water, at 22 days post surgery, with GP's permission, he checked my cut very carefully and approved of my idea that swiming (treading water) would help me, it did.  Some time later made an appt to see physio's at hospital to follow up as was having some issues, physio very pleased with my general strength and said she would be recommending swimming?? to others looking at how well I was dong, but some muscles I was favouring too much and they needed supervised help to make me use those muscles correctly, much better after having resolved that small problem.

• Posted

Hi There ,I had to wait till I had finished blood thinners,before hydrotherapy.But I was only doing excerises in the home.It will all come right,but don't rush it.please remember that you have had a major op. So rest up when you can.Regards Amanda

• Posted

dear desire, 

so many different opinions  and not only regarding physical therapy (see: sleeping)... 

some surgeons see benefits in having PT right away, some don't see it at all -

I have worked in Home Health Care office in Los Angeles and I remember that 6 weeks of in home PT was scheduled (and ordered) - after that, if necessary, more as out patient - 

Elsewehere, in U.K., it is not so apparent and I think one needs referral from surgeon - I am in Holland (after 34 years in L.A.) and don't need referral from anybody - I took  additional insurance to get up to 27 sessions of PT - 

My experience with PT has not been so great and I realize that it was not until week 5 that I went to their office - had 2 home visits where they didn't do anything except watching me doing the exercises I got from the hospital ...

What I am trying to say here is to not worry too much about that - do the exercises you know, increasing as you go along - and  take short but frequent walks - that is plenty for now -

2 weeks is still early in recovering from this major surgery and a lot of healing is taking place -

take your pain medication to stay ahead of the pain (if this applies to you) - as said here on the forum before: trhis is not a sprint but more like a marathon -

I don't know too much about swimming - if you are not confident in how to get in and out of the pool, just wait -

Do you have staples ?

Still be gentle with your self,  Desire - try to not compare your self to others, okay -

you are doing great !!!!

big warm hug

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.