When should you see a doctor about blood in stool?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 30 year old guy, today I noticed watery red blood in my tissue and on the poop as well.

I was holding my stools for a while, so unsure if it's related.

I noticed this last July while camping, but was alright the next day, in February I was having lower left side pain. I did told the doctor about sometimes having blood in my poop, she did blood test which was normal and was not too concerned.

Chances are tomorrow there will be no blood.

My lower left side feels sore sometimes, but it's mild and doesn't always persist like before.

I experience itchiness and numbness in my anal area sometimes, right now it feels wet but it's dry when I rub a toilet paper which is soft.

I get lightheaded but I think it might be due to my ear pressure and anxiety.

Going mind blank I have fear of forgetting to tell the doctor something, right now I'm unsure whether it's worth the hassle if its only once?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You should go to the doctor and tell him/her about the blood, along with itchiness and numbness of the anus. It is best to discuss these things with a doctor right away rather than letting it get worse or having your anxiety get the best of you. Your symptoms sound like hemorrhoids or an anal fissure.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice, I'm ok today, no blood but I booked an appointment so expected to see one next week.

• Posted

Hi Redwolf887,

I totally relate to your forgetting to tell GP something that you remember two seconds after leaving the surgery and find it helpful to take a written note/list to prompt my brain into working properly (well almost anyway).

I have been having problems similar to what you are describing and was told by my GP and a nurse that if blood in ones stools is bright red it isn't a concern (obviously it would be if it was frequent) but if it is a dark red you should see your GP asap. Also if your stools are black it is of concern and you should see your GP straight away; the exception is if you are taking an high count iron supplement as this tends to promote black stools.

I'm afraid I have no idea about the itching and numbness.

Please bear in mind that I am not a medic and am only relaying what I have been told but I do hope it helps.

• Posted

Hi,

Glad to hear you are going to GP, good luck with everything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.