when should you start screening?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, newbie here.

My nana was diagnosed in June with stage 4 very aggressive breast cancer; she also had lupus and was on dialysis 4 times a week........ She just passed away on august 3rd..... my question for everyone would be should the women in our family get screened? We don’t know much about her side of the family because she immigrated here from Ireland and didn’t know much of her family medical history.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I don't know your age but, it always advisable to have a mammogram and ultra sounds if there has been cancer in the family,
    • Posted

My mother is in her 50's and has had lumps and cysts removes but they were benign, i'm 31 i have a sister that is 25 and a sister that is 22.
  • Posted

Any age to have a mammogram and ultra sound if in doubt about a breast lump
  • Posted

Hi, So sorry to hear about your nana. If there were a lot of breast and ovarian cancers, especially under age 50, in her side of the family then you could ask your GP about your genetic risk. Breast is the most common cancer in women and everyone's risk increases with age (1 in 8 over a lifetime), so one case is unlikely you need extra sceening. We are all offered routine mammogram after age 50. Before 50 and between mammos we can all be 'breast aware'. Breast Cancer Care has a good website with information on what changes to look out for. Hope this helps put your mind at rest.
    • Posted

High Ann I reallt think as well as a mommogram an Ultra Sound is needed as well, I had a mommogram, and the cancer wasn't detected but an Ultra Sound found it??
    • Posted

Thanks ladies. I deff have alot to talk to my doctor about. We dont know much about her family history so its really hard to say if it runs in the family but im definitely educating myself so i am prepared to ask questions when i go in to meet with my doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.