When to get the second foot done?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had bunion and hammer toe surgery on my right foot 11 weeks ago (22/3). My recovery has been good, and at my check-up today my surgeon was keen to get going on my left foot.  My right foot is doing well but is still not competely OK:  I tend to limp after a short distance walking as I can't walk comfortably 'through' the foot.  I have now been prescribed 20 physio sessions which the doctor thinks will rapidly sort out these residual problems - to use his term- but  I am hesistant to go ahead with further surgery at this point. The operation would again be to remove the bunion, sort out the hammer toe and realign the bones. The deformities are severe, and the operation would again be around 2 hours under a general anasthetic.  I would really appreciate the views of fellow sufferers who have been through this experience.  How long should I wait?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had the same op as you 20 weeks ago and I to need second foot done . I was eager to just get on with it too but after everything going really well , the recovery after the 12 weeks then was slow due to the limp and difficulty walking any realistic distance and standing for long periods .... I work in an infant school .

It's really just feeling like normality is around the corner now I have bought sketcher shoes as my foot still swells and shoes have been a problem . I'm now 20 weeks post op and even though I'm dreading going back to the beginning again i think in another few weeks I ll get second foot done .

I believe it's best to be mobile and walking well before you let those muscles deteriorate again through lack of use . I'm getting an exercise bike this time around to avoid the weak leg problems I found the most difficult to get over . It was the worst but for me and progress seemed so slow . I asked for physio but consultant felt all would improve the more I walked and returned to normal ... He was right !

Good luck x

• Posted

Hi, I can recommend the use of an exercise bike - I haven't used mine as regularly as I probably should, but even occasional use has helped to keep my leg muscles reasonably fit and I haven't had any problems in that respect, thank goodness.  I had my first physio session yesterday, and was relieved to be told that my main problem is stiffness in the foot and that the combination of exercises and time should sort it out.  Basically what your consultant said. Like  you I made a good recovery initially (was driving 4 weeks post-op) so really didn't think I would still be limping at week 12.  Obviously I need to get walking more!!  It's a bit counter-intutitive isn't it - you limp because it hurts, so the temptation is therefore not to walk much at all. So thanks for reassurance, and good luck with the second foot!
    • Posted

Is it possible for you to e mail me a brief description of the exercises you were given ? I couldn't get any physio and want all the help I can get for the second one!

I'm glad the exercise bike was useful and I'm sure that will help me second time around . It takes time to recover and my foot is still sore and swollen at the end of a busy day but my day has returned to the hectic norm and bit by bit it gets easier x thanks for your help

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Sure I can send you some, private message me your email, its not allowed o the forums, thanks!!
    • Posted

I've sent a message via the Private Message service.  Hope it helps!
    • Posted

Amanda I dont have a message but I sent you one let me know if you get it, thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.