When to go back to work.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I just had a partial hysterectomy (vaginal) one week ago. I've been back to work, two partial days this week. I took 4 full days off including the weekend.

I've been having trouble staying home much per my bosses request. I've managed so far to avoid a lot of lifting but I am constantly having to go from one end of the building to the other. It is causing some additional pain, on top of the pain that is already there.

Is this going to be okay since it was a vaginal hysterectomy?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Omg , you went to work on your 5th day !

Why ?? I recon you should have taken at least 2 weeks off for the safe side !

Good luck, xxxx

• Posted

I had a verbal agreement that I could do limited hours at one of my desks, I have 4 desks. Once I got there, the demands kept building and became quite active. They just keep asking for more. I should have known better. I'm scared for my two week follow up next Wednesday. The pain is ridiculous right now and the bleeding increased. I just hoped that it being the vaginal procedure, it would be okay.

Thank you for the response. Much appreciated.

• Posted

You've had major surgery my dear.  You need to take at least 4 to 6 weeks for recovery.  Go to your doctor and get a note so that you get the time you need to heal properly.  You're risking your life. xx

• Posted

For God sakes take care of yourself!   Why did you go back so soon?   You only have one body.   Putting a boss (who could fire and replace you in a heartbeat) over your health is just naive and dangerous.  They're going to continue to give you more work, because they think since you're back, you're 100%.  Big mistake.   Get a doctor's note that says you came back too soon, and need more time off.  Some weeks!  Stop groveling and trying to impress a boss, who probably could care less about you.   If he had a surgical procedure done, you think he'd be rushing back to the office after 6 days?  I'm sorry for the tone.  I get so angry when women put everyone else over themselves, then get treated like doormats.   

• Posted

I have a doctors note that says limited hours and work. It's my mistake, it's also a financial thing, I had ablation in January which likely led to this. Out of vacation time but I suspect you're correct. I appreciate the tone and straight forward comment. Thank you.

• Posted

I went back after six week and had a prolaps back and front and believe me when I say you don't want that the operation is far worse two major ops in two years me.

Stop and think about your health

• Posted

Thanks for the response. What do you mean by prolapse front and back? This is all new to me. I'm certain I didn't ask nearly enough questions of my doctor. I just wanted the pain to stop. I had immediate relief of the pelvic pain but has been replaced with just what I would chalk up to normal post-op pain, and trying to do too much, too soon.

Are you doing okay now? I hope so. Please take care.

• Posted

Oh gosh it's way too soon.

I had a partial hysterectomy but it was abdominal. The healing went fine but I went back after 6 weeks and the second I got back they presumed I was fine and piled the work on to catch up.

I was tired on a whole different level for a few more weeks and knew I wasn't really ready.

I'm guessing you won't get paid if you don't go in?

• Posted

That's correct. They gave me few hours, which I appreciate but it won't pay the bills. It really stinks, other than my parents, who are in their 80s, I have no help. I don't have any options, just proceed with life, do the best I can. I'm just exhausted, even a trip to the bathroom is exhausting, and painful. I'm just ready to give up.

Thanks for your response.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Way too soon...even for VH?  Still major cutting etc internally. Only get one chance at proper recovery otherwise setting yourself up for future major problems.

most folks are only just starting to feel ready for work at approx 13-14 weeks.  Most folks d t realise 6 is the 'minimum' recommendation for time off...not the maximum, and depending on type of work and duties involved, can be longer.  

Get yourself signed off again immediately. Your health more important than anything else. Best wishes. K

• Posted

You need 2 get another line off your Dr I went back to doing everything after 2 wks due to having a lazy selfish partner who chose 2 go on a bender after a wk and a half and went back to work after 5 months because I ended up with complications I had a bleed in my stomach 5 days after my op then burst my stitches when my partner did wot he did and developed a post op infection then my stomach started 2 swell with excruciating pain been told I now have adhesions and severe nerve damage because I never gave myself time to heal I'm a carer and have 5 children so resting wasn't the most easy thing to do 14 months on and my body is a complete mess in constant severe agony can only walk short distances due to the pain can't do a quarter of the things I used to do even though I force myself to do them which makes me worse then I suffer for wks on end it's never ending please don't make the same mistakes as me and take the time to recover you'll regret it if you don't there's help out there financially you'll be entitled to hope you listen to everyone's advice and do the right thing don't want you to suffer because of a selfish boss no1 is wort to that please take care of yourself xx

• Posted

I'm sorry what you went through. That's devastating.

Thank you and you too, take care of yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.