When to go to the doctor?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, my name is Melissa. I have not been officially diagnosed but I know I have HD. I tend to avoid doctors and try to wait things out. I have been dealing with it for about 15 years. I use to get large lumps in my groin area but thankfully I haven't had any bad ones there for a few years. I have however been struggling with some in my armpits. I have 2 in my left that have been there for months. The one is open and leaking almost all the time and the other gets bigger and smaller. Two days ago another appeared and it is huge and right in the crease so its super uncomfortable. This morning I noticed my armpit is really red. So I've decided maybe I just need to finally go in and officially get it diagnosed along with maybe getting some type of treatment.

What have been the benefits of treatment for others?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I was more or less the same as you, I kept thinking that they would clear up eventually, but they didn't.  After going to the doctors and having antibiotics four or five times, they didn't clear up and the last doctor I saw diagnosed Hidradentitis Suppurtiva and gave me antibiotics for three months.  I am 50 years old and I have only recently been diagnosed.  I have never suffered from this condition before and I feel I have a lot to

learn.

You have to go to the doctors in the end, you have no choice.  I hope that you do soon.

Good luck

• Posted

Melissa, so sorry to hear what you are going thru, and yes it does sound like HS. I can tell you this, it's not going away  and it's not going to get any better by doing what you are doing.  You need to go see a doctor and be diagnosed, so you can get the proper treatment. I am seeing a dermatologist who gives me antibiotics and various creams to heal and help control the flare ups,  besides that I found out I am allergic to eggs and wheat, so I stopped eating those and that helps some. Also, some others things that helped me was finding  "triggers" like processed "SUGAR" and  the big one for me was "STRESS". Your diet is something for you to consider, also start taking pictures as that will help you as well as your doctor. Good luck to you,keep us informed of your progress.

• Posted

Hi Melissa, everyone's experience seems to be different.  My feeling is the GP may or may not even recognise it... they may or may not offer a referral to a dermatologist.

The GP will offer antibiotics - starting at the weakest, after trying a few I found clindamycin was the best for my symptoms. .., the dermatologist might offer different and stronger antibiotics or other medications like rifampicin or accutane.  Or maybe some topical ointments.

I don't know it was just me,but I treated the whole area as 'a mess' but later learnt it's worth covering and wound management... ie) topical ointments, washing with chlorhexidine, even using a bit of iodine/peroxide.  definitely cover it up... and avoid tight fitting clothing (polyester) - experiment.

If the dermatologist thinks it's bad enough they might recommend surgery.  Surgery sounds good... on one hand it can give you a chance to get on top of it... on the other hand... you can just as easily develop another lump right next to the one that was removed.

bottom line for me was what I'm eating...  I seem to keep on top of it these days by avoiding potato's.  I also try to avoid the rest of the nightshades - but they only really lead to acne, but potato's can pretty much 100% of the time lead to HS redness and infection within 48 hours that takes 1-2 weeks to dissipate.

Others say it's sugar, can be some nuts.. some science behind blaming dairy also.  A huge percentage of sufferers have been smokers, but stopping smoking doesn't get rid of it... it can help it heal quicker.

My doctors, surgeons and dermatologists have never recommended diet changes... but every single person I see on many forums that ever claims remission was due to dietary changes.  I excluded all sorts of bad stuff for years... and thought it was unbeatable. then finally discovered the nightshade/potato sensitivity... it's awesome when you work out how to control it.

basically... the medical professionals will help you treat the symptoms only.   I trust doctors and really appreciate the whole profession, but specifically with this one... the diagnosis... is... well.. only an inevitable step.  You have to find your trigger.  Did I say potato's? hehe it's not going to help everyone but it's 100% mine and many others agree (allergy exclusion diets)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.