When to jump off Mirtazapine in a slow taper?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all - I'm guessing that most people who read this will still be on the Mirt, but just in case...

I've been doing a slow 10% taper off Mirt since I started taking it this time last year (the weight thing was never going to be ok for me). I initially tried to come off too quickly thinking it would be fine as I'd only been on it for 2 weeks, but gave myself horrific WD so accepted the slow taper.

I'm now down to 2.55mg or .15ml of the liquid I take. My question is, what dose is reasonable to jump off? The doctors will obviously say something which is way too high, but equally I don't really want to wait another 15 months to drop 0.1ml every time! It feels a bit excessive. I wondered if anyone had any experiences or suggestions?

0 likes, 96 replies

96 Replies

Next
  • Edited

sorry i cant help, i went cold turkey all 3 times x

• Posted

HiGillian how did it afect you what dose did you come off i was on 30 then down to 15 for a week then onto Citalopram finding i carnt sleep taking nightal they give me 5 to 6 hrs at 50 mls for 3 noight trying 1 tab at 25 tonight as they are adictive but ill prob still need 2 would appreciate your output the doc wants to wait 2 weeks till 4 weeks on Citalopram then reinstart cit at 15 i dont want to do that

• Edited

did you lose sleep and when did it come back if you did im not on mirt im on Citalopram 10 i came of mirt on 15 dose 3wks ago been on Citalopram 2 wks im on nytol fir sleeping hope i right myself soon thanks for answering

• Posted

i had terrible insomnia for about 8 weeks then it slowly returned to normal.

• Posted

Are you taking NYTOL herbal or the original. I find the herbal gives me palpatations.

• Edited

Hi. The reality is the dose you are on now is so low it won’t be having any effect on your body or mind at all. You absolutely don’t need to wait another 1 year for 0.1ml. Doctors say a dose higher is ok to jump from because that’s what peer reviewed tests have shown. It’s only on forums like this with people spreading scare stories that you have to taper over years and to the ridiculousness of 0.1mg a month or something that this is discussed. entirely anecdotal and unproven im afraid

Your dose is now so low you could stop right now and feel no effect. Do it every other day and then stop if it makes you feel better 

If you DO feel “weird” when you are off it as people claim “I did it too quickly” it’s highly likely to be psychosomatic. 

One other caveat. Depression can return when you’re off. It did for me (3/4 months later). There’s a reason we went on them. 

Good luck 

• Posted

hmmmm i think mirt withdrawal only lasts 3 months regardless of dose jumped off at, but ssris are a different beast and can take many many months to get stable, im not scaring anyone ive dont mirt and now doing cit and i always settle after a certain length of time!!!

• Posted

what dose did you stop at Greg i was on mirt for 3mths 30 then 15 for a week doc stopped me on that then on Citalopram for 2 weeks now off mirt 3wks carnt sleep on 2 nytal please answer back

• Posted

mirt was doing nothing for my depression or anxiety so switch me onto Citalopram am i getting side affects after comming off mirt or starting up on Citalopram i think im controling my anxiety im carmest at night just carnt sleep what do you think thanks im on nytol 2 tabs to sleep 5 to 6 hrs

• Edited

totally disagree.

you have obviously been lucky. i jumped iff at 1.25mg and am suffering terrible withdrawals and they are not in my head

• Posted

my dose was always 15. i halved for two weeks. then halved again for two weeks. then that dose every other day for two weeks and thats it , done.

Nytol is only an antihistamine. if you need help while transitioning ask for a short course of proper sleeping pills.

• Posted

3mths had to go to 45 for my depression and anxiety but to sleepy so stayed at 30 then went down to 15 for a week doc told me to start Citalopram 10 mls ive only been on that for17 days now having trouble sleeping i got 4 hrs on my own last night then took 0ne and a half of nytal at 25 mls then got another 4 hrs i think the doc did the mirt to quick onto Citalopram but thats done now dont want to go back on it been off it 3 weeks now do you think my sleep is returning as i got 4hrs on my own but then i might not tonight dont no thanks

• Posted

Can you still feel an effect?

For example, after taking it do you fall asleep? (I know that ~8th of a 15mg tablet will knock me out for example)

I think once you've got to a point where you can't feel it then maybe that's where you stop?

The actual amount will vary for everyone so nobody could really give you a number.

Just my 2p.

• Posted

Hi charlie the lady doctor has taken me off Citalopram and start

on sertraline tom she said 4hrs sleep on my own and then at 2in the mornjng i took 1 nytol and a half a one got another 4 hrs she said thats ok hope sertraline is ok not to many withdraws thanks for listening

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

That sounds like she's got a solid plan for you, I hope the Sertraline works out.

Take care 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.