When to return to work?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 59 yrs old and had a TLH and BLSO to deal with stage 1b Endo cancer (successful and no other treatment needed). I was given 6 weeks off and had a fit note provided by the hospital. I have a couple more days before my note is up. I have made a lot of progress and have been driving short distances for the past week but very much up and down as far as my emotions and physical health are concerned and - I get low, irritable and tearful at times and also get intermittent stomach pains which are better than they were. I did have a bladder and skin infection in second week which set me back. I don’t feel 100% at this stage although a lot better than I was - I have to go for a scan for a pea sized lump under my skin where laparoscopic surgery was performed but could be scar tissue - the scan is to put my mind at rest. When are other ladies returning to work and how are they feeling at that stage - are they feeling well or not quite there yet and needed more time off? xx

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

hi Lara

I would extend for another couple of weeks. it takes up to 12 weeks to feel okay.

yiu must think if yiur health and yiur one chance of recovery.

take care.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Lara! I too had the same as you. No treatments needed THANK GOD! I agree with Welshgirl and would take another couple of weeks off.

Best of Luck!

Mary

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi

I'm 46 and i had TLH with BLSO five weeks ago for multiple fibroids. it was quite a difficult surgery due to the size and number of fibroids. my uterus was 16 weeks pregnant size. the surgeon did well to do it laparoscopically but I had some bladder trajma and needed a catheter for 2 weeks.

i was told i needed to take 12 weeks off work, I guess in part because my job is quite physical. Although I initially thought this was excessive, for the last week I have had a lot of lower abdominal discomfort and now feel that there is no way i could go back to work yet. i have also only just started to get some menopause symptoms so have no idea how that will pan out yet.

listen to your body and take the time to rest, you only get one chance to recover properly! good luck xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Lara, I have a very similar story. I'm 57 and had TLH and BLSO on August 16th, Stage 1, Grade 1 no further treatment needed. The doctor gave me six weeks but i kept asking for eight. I went back to work last week. I am trying to do things differently like not staying at work to late, getting more sleep at night or resting more when i get home. I feel like I could have used a couple of more weeks as well but thats how it goes it guess. I have an hour drive to work and back home so lots of time to think and cry. but i usually get it out of my system by the time i get to work/home. Most of my little pains and twinges are gone, but i still have problems with urinary or vaginal discharge which can be a bit bothersome sometimes. Hope you are doing well.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up