When to start DSNS

Posted , 13 users are following.

Back skiing not setting the world on fire, but doing it! Prednisone at 5mg figured if no problems stay at 5 mg for a month and drop to 4.5 using DSNS. How does that sound. Thinking positive and staying active with a smile! πŸ™‚

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Didn't you just get over a nasty flare? If you're able to be pain free at 5 mg after a flare, I don't think I'd be in any rush to reduce. However, no harm trying but I'd be leery of some residual inflammation lingering in the background. I might not be the one to give an opinion though. After my last couple flares I backed way off and do the full DSNS cycle, so I'm only reducing .5 mg every 7 weeks. It's going to take me a lot longer reducing but my main goal is no flares and no pain. I'm at 7.5/7mg and taking my time at the reduction.

• Posted

TheRaven, yes nasty flair, back on anti-inflammatory diet and back at 5 mg after bumping up to 20. Jumped to 15 then 20 mg stabli zed at 20 till pain free! Reduced 5 mg every 4 days, now second day on 5 mg, do feel a feel a bit sluggish. Skipped skiing today, but plan to meet friends on the ski hill tomorrow morning. Thinking positive, staying active with a smile.πŸ™‚

• Posted

I'm in exactly your situation except that I have only had failed attempts to taper below 7.5 mg, where PMR pain has slowly returned after a week or so.

• Posted

I'd wait until at least the end of the ski season!! Well done!

• Posted

That's good idea EileenH, I was thinking days, but why rush. When I stop skiing, stay on my diet and start reducing. Thanks again for your words of wisdom. πŸ™‚

• Posted

That's great news. I think I'd hang on a bit longer if the 5mgs are working and it's not a lot in the scheme of things.

• Posted

Hanging at 5mg for the ski season Silver49. Thanks ☺️

• Posted

Awesome, Michdonn!!

Clearly, your anti-inflammatory diet also seems to have a synergistic effect. That and your attitude: Beautiful!

Thanks for the update -- keep 'em coming and have fun!

• Posted

You are welcome Harrie4, I believe my diet is a big help! I cheated a bit and bang. A flare. Ski again tomorrow meeting one my students and her mother for a few runs!

Great FUN! ☺️

• Posted

Congratulations! I hope to be skiing next year. I've been doing it for 45 years. I have a hip replacement surgery in April, then rehabilitation, and regain strength.

• Posted

Good for you LarryM, if I am going to do anything for a day, skiing is my favorite thing to do! Hang in there, good luck on the rest of your PMR journey. Try to stay, positive, active and smile. πŸ™‚

• Posted

What is the rush? I would keep it at the same level for while, especially that, it seems to me, you just got to 5mg and don't really know if it is enough to keep inflammation at bay. Also, I found that the lower I go, the harder it becomes to be physically active. At these levels, even 0.5mg can make a huge difference over time.

BTW, congrats to getting back to skiing ! There is not much winter left, so don't take chances with taper πŸ˜ƒ

• Posted

Hi Nick I am going to take EileenH suggestion and stay at 5 mg till I am finish skiing. Back at 5 mg which I consider a pretty safe level. Thanks for the advice! πŸ™‚

• Posted

For me, no flares, but seven long months around 7.5 mg pred.

Still I feel fine and can't wait for the ski season, four months away. (All summer, I've been watching carved turn videos on YouTube and will likely set the world on fire!)

• Posted

I hope Joydeck, nothing like a good carved turn. Go for it Lady! πŸ™‚

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.