When to start kegel exercises?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a posterior repair of rectocele and slight perineum rebuilding. When do you start on kegels? Manual that is... i have an apex i plan to use around 8 weeks...

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I was told to start gentle pelvic floor exercises from day 2 post op then gradually increase. Best to check with your physio. 
    • Posted

I didnt have any muscular repairs done and when i do any type of lighy squeeze of the area i dont feel any soreness or disruption of the surgical area. I was thinking that it would bring blood to the area, which sounds like a good thing.. but i can probably handle waiting another week ha
    • Posted

As far as I know I didn't have any muscular repair either.  I can squeeze quite well if I'm laying down but can't feel too much happening yet when standing just a slight lift. There is no pain at all in that area, I do get a very slight pulling sensation in my left side where one of my SF stitches is I imagine. 3 weeks tomorrow and it's still going very well. I have a physio appointment the first week in December. 

Hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving celebrations. 

• Posted

Best to check with your Surgeons office as they are the only ones that know the exact state of your pelvic floor and they all vary with their advice depending on Surgeons method of doing the repair & how he found it all during surgery. No two repairs are the same so you can't base what to do on another persons journey. 

• Posted

Thanks. I have a 2 week post op appointment in a week... i asked him post surgery if he repaired my muscles as my PT told me that they were stretched out very far, no matter how much work we did to strengthen them they still didnt come close to midline again... i guess my therapist did not share this info with my surgeon, as my surgeon didnt feel the need need to touch any of my muscles (his words).

I feel bad that this was the first and only thing i asked/said in post op recovery and didnt say thank you or asked how it went... so i feel a little foolish now going on about this again at the post op appt. I suppose i knew he wouldnt as most medical journals said levatorplasty are no longer routine and can cause permanent pain during intercourse... but its hard for me to believe that sewing skin up tighter with nothing else reinforcing it (muscles to "lean against"wink can be the type of surgery that isnt bound to fail. Needless to say i was not in a position to ask as many questions with my dr as id have liked as he was the only one who would even consider touching a women of my young age that i had met.

If it was all in vein though im thankful to have found this forum for guidance and support! Happy thanksgiving ladies! Hopefully youre all enjoying a wonderful meal cooked by someone else!! Dont forget to take those stool softeners!! wink smile

• Posted

You are the first lady to mention the l

levator hole surgery. My professor measure mine at 39.7 . I am in Sydney had mine repaired as well as the retrocele and bladder sling.

Mine was done on the 22nd nov a week later it was in the paper that it was stopped because of cronic pain.

I have anchorpoints on the point of the bum cheeks sore and hard 4 weeks post op. This mesh sling attach to 2.5 cm cuts outside of the vigina. 4 weeks post op can sit side ways with some for pain

Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Janex

Ask to be referred to a Womens Health Physiotherapist. If you don't change what you do the same (prolapse) will happen again. A consultation with a Physio will be able to show you how to do you manual kegel exercises successfully (you don't have time to get them wrong), and also tweak certain things. That night mean posture, it might mean altering dietary habits. All these things together will help to make your surgery last you a life time which after what you've been through I know you will be keen to achieve!

Don't forget the value of Vitamin D3 - clinically proven to help those with a weak pelvic floor (and it good for our mood and skin too).

Hope this helps

Stephanie

• Posted

I have been seeing a pelvic floor physical therapist for over a year... the last 6 months id really only check in 1-2 a month as it seemed like there was nothing left to teach me. Id learned proper kegels and relaxation methods. I learned proper posture and workouts. I lost all my baby weight and gained muscle. I tried EMS but her devices probe was too small to effectively engage my pf muscles as they were stretched so very apart. I also bought pelvic floor weights that i was unable to keep in. In turn, i ended up purchasing an apex device (the exact one being "intensity"wink out of pocket and using that instead of what felt like wasting time at a therapist office (that i had to bring my breastfed baby with half the time) and this helped somewhat... i could definitely feel myself contracting around the device (my PTs machine never did this, only caused pain) and with regular use this seemed to help with urinary incontinence and made me feel as though my muscles thickened, though they were still far apart. Without regular use things would go back to normal or worse...

Anyway, theres no other womens health physios in my area. I unfortunately moved from a big city to a small rural country town upon all this happening... so my options are slim.

• Posted

Great to hear that you are being persistent. This is perfect, at the end of the day it's you pelvic floor, and we all respond to different treatments I am please you did not give up and you have found something that works for you. Good luck with your continued strength!

Stephanie

• Posted

Thanks, hopefully the surgery heals well and im able to jump forward a bit in my strengthening the pelvic floor because of it.
  • Posted

Omg that’s funny I left the urogyne nurse at my doctor’s office a msg earlier this week asking her that - we so badly want to take care of our results hey it was hell to get here we don’t wanna go back! She said wait a bit till everything is really healed up I just realized that doesn’t help u tho (or anyone it’s so vague) but as opposed to doing them right away I guess she meant. Oh and she said so that stitches wouldn’t get pulling on them. So I know you are ahead of me in recovery by weeks I think but I don’t know what kind of stitches -either of us have, actually! So basically I’m no help at all! Did you find out? Take carewink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.