When to start pelvic floor exercises after surgery?

Posted , 15 users are following.

I am booked in for a posterior vaginal wall prolapse on 26 August and wondering when do I start the pelvic floor exercises.  Also do you mostly sleep after the surgery?  It seems after reading the posts that a lot of rest is in order but I think this will drive me nutty,  We are self employed and I do all the computer work for my husband (he is a computer dinosaur) would I be better off typing sitting or standing?  This surgery is really making me feel very scared after reading all the posts of how long recovery is and the pain.

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello rita. Some women find they have very little if any pain following surgery but complain more later when their sutures start to pull during the healing process. You should be given instructions as to what you can and can't do following the operation by the nurses because consultants have their own ideas. Rest though is very important as for typing well standing for long periods is not advised and sitting can be a bit uncomfortable so you may want to invest in a rubber ring. Hope that helps.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply.  Rest will be my priority.
    • Posted

Hi all. I'm booked on July 20 for a posterior vaginal wall repair and a vaginal hysterectomy. I'm quite nervous. I worry about gaining weight being inactive. I'm also worried about pain. So far unsure whether need mesh or not. Have heard there can be complications. Any advice?

• Posted

Everyone is different and heals at different rates. Listen to your body, rest when you need to. Don't stand for too long, lift anything, or walk any distance without calculating if you have the energy to walk back ! I started my exercises when the catheter came out. Couldn't feel what I was doing at first but as the swelling went down it improved. I had my surgery mid May and am back to normal (but I don't lift anything) don't be too nervous it's worth having done . Good luck
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply, I hope this surgery really helps as the thing that does my head in the most is the effect this prolapse has on my BM.  So when do you think I can start vacumming the house?
  • Posted

I am 4weeks post op from having a rectocele an pelvic floor repair surgery my own experience has been extremely painful an I still can sit without one of doughnut rings to sit on after surgery I was only in mild pain barley used morphin pump the next day. Once I got home the b pain became extremely worse I hate sitting around also but as it hurts when im sitting or walking. I havent been back to work yet because my job involves lifting I get so frustrated because the old me was very active not everyone expierence is same I hope your experience an recovery go well
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.  Definately going to invest in a doughnut ring as it seems the advice given by many.  Yes I am very active and feel pretty sad that I probably will not be able to go back to running as my physio said its probably not a good idea.  I am thinking of trying swimming once I am allowed to, even though I don't really like it. 
  • Posted

Dear Rita2602,

You will need to do both what your surgeon advises and what you are comfortable doing.  My surgery was more extensive with the mesh... I could not sit up straight for weeks.  I do mostly desk work and didn't go back to work for four weeks. I just couldn't sit.  When I did go back I set up my computer so that I could stand for much of the day; the rest of the day I leaned on one side or the other.

You will want to rest a lot - you won't get your energy back for a while.  I guess if you have a laptop you can do computer work in bed...  You'll just have to work it out best for you.

As to pelvic floor exercises, if you mean Kegels, I didn't try for several weeks.  Now I do them almost every night before I go to sleep.  Again, you'll have to work this out for you.  You may have less pain all around and be able to get back to (semi) normal much quicker than I did.

• Posted

Thanks for reply and feedback.  I was thinking that I could do a spring clean through all my clothes etc whilst I am at home doing nothing.  But not sure if I will be up for it.  I guess I will have to see how I go.
    • Posted

Sounds good now, but you'll have to see how you feel. The first 3-4 weeks I didn't feel like doing a lot, but this past week or so I have better. I make cards and do scrapbooking and it sure feels good to get "lost" in my craft room again!
  • Posted

Hi Rita, 

I had the posterior repair about 30 years ago when I was in my 20's. I am 5 1/2 weeks post-op for anterior repair. I don't know if it was the surgery (posterior vs anterior) or my age, but recovery seemed much quicker in my 20's, although I wasn't as healthy back then. 

The doughnut to sit on was very helpful for comfort.

Don't let our stories scare you....I'm sure there are many wonderful success stories out there...we are on this forum looking for answers to problems we have or getting more info because our providers are not very helpful in that area...and to share with others that truly understand what we are going through and receiving support from them. It is a wonderful sight and you realize you are not the only one feeling the way you do. 

As for sleep, I do remember napping more with my first surgery than this one, but I was on narcotic pain meds the first time, this time I took only Ibuprofen and Tylenol for the 2 1/2 weeks. I've only napped 3-4 times and that was the first week after surgery.

I would think you could do computer work fine, you will find what is comfortable, although standing for over a half hour is not recommended...you will feel it if you overdo...it took me a couple days to recoup after I stood for a couple hours at a birthday party.

The doctor has not discussed pelvic floor exercises with me yet (I go to the doctor tomorrow and will ask). Many on this forum have been told to do pelvic floor exercises not kegels.

Prayers & blessings to you!

Trisha

• Posted

Rita,

TrishaP is right!  Yes, don't worry about it.  I think my surgery was more extensive because of needing the mesh and I'm almost 60, so my body is older and probably took it harder.  I did not take the narcotic pain meds afterward - didn't even fill the prescription.  But I did live on Tylenol and Ibruprofen!   Just be prepared to coddle yourself - or better yet, have someone else who can coddle you!

• Posted

Thanks TrishaP, yes some stories are scary and it has taken me about 6 months to finally decide on this surgery.  My biggest fear is not being able to do the exercises I used to and that the new adjusted ones recommended will not really benefit me.  Exercise is a big part of me and has been since I was a young child.  I guess I will just have to take it a day at a time hmmm..... this will test my patience ha ha.
    • Posted

Did you find the ibruprofen constipating?
    • Posted

Personally i haven't found Ibuprofen to be constipating. I still take the occasional laxadose (10 weeks post op) but only because everything still feels a little delicate.
    • Posted

I didn't take handsfull of ibruprofen, so it wasn't a problem once I got "moving" after the first week.  I do regularly take fiber (daily) so once I got back on schedule, it was ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.