When to take Buscopan

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm new and just starting my IBS journey. I am a49 years old  woman with 4 children. I have had 3 episodes so far and have noticed a pattern. A week to 10 days before an attack I am woken in the night by heartburn and trapped wind. I feel nauseas during the day and have heart burn when I eat. I then have a day where I am on the toilet for 45 minutes to an hour. I can only describe the pain as similar to childbirth. I have wave after wave of pain accompanied by, not really diarrhoea but poop that is the consistency of peanut butter (smooth variety) vomiting, sweating and I go into shock. The rest of the time I am mostly constipated even though I eat a lot of fruit and veg. I don't seem to have a food that brings it on.

My question is, at what stage do I take the Buscopan? I don't have any warning that my "toilet day" is coming until it happens. I get abdominal pain and have to get to a toilet. I am having my "build up" symptoms right now. I was awoken by heartburn and trapped wind in the night and now have nauseas and heartburn, this could go on for a week or more before the attack. So when do I take the Buscopan? If I wait until I have the cramps it's too late. Any help would be great.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Paganqueen,

Sorry you have to deal with IBS, it's not fun. I have had this affliction for over two years now and have tried al sorts of things to cope with it.

Buscopan is an anti-spasmotic drug which is best taken before a meal to stop your colon from cramping. It works for me but some people say it does not help them at all.

If you are one of those people you might want to give Mebeverine a try. My GP started me on Colpermin which is peppermint oil but again it did not work for my type of IBS.

I have even tried fennel seed with limited results.

The problem is Paganqueen we are all different and there seems to be many types of IBS. Always speak to your GP before trying anything that others suggest, we are not medically trained and I would hate something you try to make matters worse.

I personally find the low FODMAP diet works best for me because it eliminates short chain carbohydrates from your diet. The trouble with short chain carbohydrates is that they are not well absorbed in the small intestine causing water to enter the large intestine leading to gas, bloating and diarrhoea.

Try looking up NHS FODMAP diet on the internet and it will give you the full story. It works for me. It cannot harm you because it just limits the things you eat.

I hope there is something here that helps you.

Have a lovely Christmas!

Robert

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Robert. I'm finding it all very scary at the moment. I am just waiting for the next attack and know it's going to be just as bad as the last one. I have no way of knowing when it will start so can't even do anything to try and help ease it. I will look at the diet you mentioned, thank you. It's an awful illness.
  • Posted

Hi paganqueen 

i have to use the buscapan every day I take 2 10mg tablets in the morning and then I repeat again when I go to bed so 40mg every day but if I don't take them I'm like you I'm not sure when it's going to happen and then I'm in so much pain it's crazy and I'm vomiting how ever taking my buscapan every day it seems to have made things not to bad now I can go to the loo with only a tittle cramping and I'm not glued to mine or someone else's loo so I hope u finger out how to give your self some relife good luck regards Nadine 

• Posted

Thank you Nadine, that is a great help. I think I might take one at night and one in the morning to start with and see if that helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.