When to weight bare after cast removal

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 2 days off since the cast removal. I am in a boot and the dr instructed to put weight as needed on my ankle. It was only 4 weeks spent in the cast. I am not comfortable doing that putting weight on ankle until I can work with PT!! Pain is better today.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Nice!!! What I did is I am Google on PT at home. Without putting weight on it. home therapy helps loosen your tenants and ligaments and there are a few exercise you can do. And if you can put some weight on it but don't put that much weight your body should know how much you can take trust your body. Good luck!!!

• Posted

I was also unsure about putting weight on my ankle as soon as the surgeon said I could and put it off for two weeks. Then I found that I could put a little weight on it but would have pain hours later. My surgeon said it's okay if you have pain hours later. But still, I was afraid that I was delaying my recovery by putting stress on the ankle. So, I have been very slowly increasing the amount of weight bearing. I'm now 10 weeks post surgery and walk only about 100 steps around my apartment with a boot and a walker per day. 

I'm still not sure if that is the right thing to do. But, it seems like the safest and most comfortable thing to do. 

I have talked to other people with ankle injuries who just toughed it out and endured the pain. They also recovered. 

• Posted

Oh my! I dont know either. Are you working with physical therapy? I am hoping to get set up with one and help me walk in the boot. My foot is not flat either. I tried working on getting it flat to have better position in the boot. Its painful and painful doing that. Recovery is painful. Congrats on your walking.
    • Posted

I started physical therapy twice and quit due to increased pain. I'm going to start again this week. 

• Posted

I did six weeks in a cast. My cast came off yesterday. I’m in a huge black heavy boot. Pain yesterday and today. Boot keeps “rubbing “ against my surgical wounds and my foot looks like a zombie’s foot. Doc said discoloration and swelling could take months to go away! 

But, my X-ray revealed that my bones are not completely healed. So my doc said, NWB! He reminded me that the metal was not supposed to hold my body’s weight.

However, I will be starting PT soon, which I was warned would HURT very much. I don’t look forward to that! 

Good luck - But I’m always relieved that I’m not alone in this situation. 

Missy

• Posted

Oh my gosh. My doctor said my xray look good they fitted me with a clumsy boot and my foot was not 90 degree angle. I took off the boot to change my clothes and I slipped to my side thankfully. I am using my old boot that more stable and well cushioned my ankle. But I still cnt do the 90 degree angle and or it does hurt to be in a boot. I want relief for this. I will not attempt to walk in the boot till I can make my foot flat in the natural position first in the boot. The doctor said weight bearing as needed using the boot. I did not see it happening now. I am getting bullied by family to start walking in it. But it's not easy. I feel alone in the recovery stage. Best of luck to you on your recovery! Thanks for your input!😉

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.