When will adverse side effects subside?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I stopped taking this medication 6 days ago after suffering horrendous side effects - painful feet and calves, tingling extremities, muscle aches and lethargy. The tingling and numbness eased immediately but as still struggling with other side effects. Anyone got any experience with coming off this drug?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I stopped for about 5 days last week because of intestinal cramping; bloating; burning like heart burn in stomach & esophagus; feelings of knots in stomach and lower intestine; constipation and a little diarrhea. These symptoms slowly cleared up by day 3 but I noticed one withdrawal symptom was head pain and increase in blood pressure. Went to doctor today and she changed my blood pill to Lisinipril.  I'm hoping this new med will work better than Amlodipine because the cramping was very uncomfortable along with all the other side effects. Oh...it's interesting that my blood pressure tested very low in the doctors office than on my home tester.  ...hope this helps. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Your side effects are different to mine but sound horrible. Hope you feel better soon .
    • Posted

Thank you & hoping you feel better soon. Have the remaining symptoms subsided?  

• Posted

Hi ponylover. I had joint and muscle aches as well and feeling of lethargy and major insomnia. And like you, I had painful feet. After I was switched to a different medication, the pain in my feet were gone in less than a week while the pain in my elbows and knees greatly lessened over a course of about a month. However, I still have some tingling and occassional shooting pain in my knees and elbows (the soft tissue rather than the joint itself). My doctor actually suspects a form of Fibromyalgia possibly triggered by medication overdose. I was the one one who suggested this after some research but after my blood tests came back normal, my doctor seems to be in agreement that this may be the case especially since my pain symptoms have been consistently lessening after stopping Amlodipine. As of this writing, they are no longer constant and don't occur daily. 

It has been  6 weeks since I came off Amlodipine and I do have more energy and my bouts with insomnia have significantly lessened. I am also now able to focus on tasks at work. I am hopeful that the occasional aches and pain I still feel continue to lessen and finally go away for good.  

I hope all is going well with you and that your side effects have gone. 

• Posted

Thank you so much Ramvin, I am definitely feeling more 'with it' and able to focus my brain more. Tingling in haves and feet is now way less and the pain in feet and ankles significantly better. I'm now taking just propranolol twice daily and my blood pressure is stable.

Hope you are well, thank you for your reply.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.