When will it end.....?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Anyone else experiencing longer than usual periods? I've had this one for going on seven days now (mine have typically only lasted three or so days)...and I had a short one only a week and a half before this one began....before that, it had been two months since my last period. Mind you, this one isn't particularly heavy, but it is dragging on...and I'm having very annoying physical symptoms along with it (dizziness/lightheadedness, muscle aches, headache, feeling just generally ill)....and I've been crying at the drop of a hat (of course, that could be because I'm so frustrated by all of this).....I find myself getting increasingly anxious about all these symptoms, and I despair of ever feeling well again. I am taking supplements, but I'm not certain they're helping, and I'm trying to exercise as much as I'm able because I know that will help....but how do you exercise when you feel so dizzy and detached from your body? Quite a conundrum! 

Just venting here....again.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Yes, you are not alone! The last year I have had crazy weird periods. I might have 2 days that are heavy and then spotting for 3 more, stop for a day and start agian. I have had periods that last 10 days heavy, sometimes so heavy I feel I canont leave the house without embarrasssing myself. I have times that, like you mentioned, I had a period and then 2 weeks later had another one which is not normal for me. Then I have gone 2 months in between without anything. It's beyond frustrating. This is not even how it all begain for me. Once it started, it started and there has been little change. I have been dealing with the inconsistancy for a year now, wondering when it might end.

I have had dizziness on the weeks of menstruation and I do take iron which I think does help. I have also swore off wheat and limit my dairy which general helps me overall, not just with all the peri symptoms. I struggle with exercise and finding the motivation and energy at times when my body seems so dysfunctional. Many times I have to force myself. I have not had to deal with the emotions at the drop of a hat for a while, although I do know what you arte talking about. It was probably 3 years ago for me that I could go from raging to crying in a heart beat. I think I have figure out how to detach from thos emotions since then and at times I feel like I could do either I detach which is maybe not healthy  but again neither was what I was doign before.

Not until I have been thru all this have I realized just how much we as dominated my our own hormones and how different a man's world kis comapred to ours. Now I can see how women's health goes down hill and how hard it is to keep ourselves healthy.

Keep up your B12 and B6 intake. Keep exercising as much as you can and do not feel guitly for those days that you don't. 

• Posted

Oh wearykitty!

I know exactly how you feel.  As I type this my house is like a bomb site.  A pile of ironing not just on, but burying the sofa, in the study; washing to be done, the whole place needs gutted.  I see it all, but I can barely summon the energy to keep myself presentable never mind my home!  I have visitors arriving on Wednesday (it's Sunday) and I know I should prepare, but ....

My periods have been all over the place for the past 5+ years (they actually stopped for 2 years, but returned ... I mean, what a b****y cheek!)  I haven't had one for 3 months, but over the past week and a half have had the basketball in the stomach feeling, expecting them to start any day, but nothing.  Sometimes, like you, they lasted for almost a week (the first 2-3 days heavy, then light, but lasting a lot longer).

It's been so reassuring to realise that what I've been experiencing is not the result of me going through some kind of breakdown; I really did think I was losing my mind at times.  Emotions (and yes, crying at everything ... babies on TV., a beautiful piece of music, relating a story to a work colleague ... how b. mortifying was that?!) are all over the place.

You sound like you're doing all the right things (excercise, supplements), but I think sometimes we just have to say, "Okay, I just have to hold on and go along for the ride,"; we're definitely just passengers on the menopausal rollercoaster.

Good luck.

MenoWoman xx

• Posted

Yeah exactly, ther are many times (mostly lately) where I too feel oike I am just going along with the ride of what my hormones are doihng with my body as I have no choice but to ride it out. It is a huge roller coater like you said. 

I was always told as long as I stayed on the Pill my symptoms would bgee less and I should ride thru this all with ease, not the case. We all have to go thru it and I believe for most of us it is not pleasant. 

• Posted

Yup, and too often dismissed by society as "women's problems" ....  The impact is huge!  I almost walked out on my marriage, thought I was going through a breakdown.  I don't think conventional medicine is geared up to care for women going through menopause.  My (female) GP - to my horror - was dismissive and unsupportive ....  I've felt more supported and empowered contributing to/reading these forums than I have felt by visiting my GP.

How long have you been on the journey?

MenoWoman xx

• Posted

My female GP also had no words of encouragement. Although she told me if my period stops for more than 4 months then there is concern. I said why? I'm going on 52 and im expecting and hoping for them to end. At that time they will test me for menopause. I see no reason for concern, woman have been going through the change since the beginning. I think its just another reason to make money haha. I think this blog is the best support system around. It definitely has reduced my anxiety knowing I have a place to vent. Woman sure have a lot to deal with!
    • Posted

You're right - women have been going through this for thousands of years, it's natural, but I think the way we live our lives nowadays (especially our generally hellish Western diet ... all that sugar, all that fat!) doesn't help.  I never expected to have a problem with the menopause because my mother told me she sailed through it at the age of 48 - barely even noticed it.  If I compare I would say my mother had a better diet (think second world war, meat and two veg, not a lot of fruit and not a lot of puddings) than me and was more physically active.  That's my "preachy bit" over with.  It is a miserable journey sometimes, but isn't travel meant to broaden our horizons (or is that hips)?!

MenoWoman xx

• Posted

I totally understand. There is something about educated sceience that real life experiences cannot explain.
    • Posted

MenoWoman, near as I can tell my journey where my hormones probably started changing was approx 5 years ago. The reason I say this is there was a ntoicable change in my digestive systom at that point, I was 46 at the time. I was also having some real problems with mood, terrible words woudl just fly from my mouth like I had no control. I started having trouble with sleep about this time.

My GP said they thought it might be perimenopause so I went to my GYN, tests were done and of course I was not told anything more than "nope, this is not it." So I went on trying to temper my mouth. I was so angry at my husband, thought of divorce so many times and actually told him to leave at one point. 3 1/2 years ago my Gpa died and I didn't like how my mother handled the sitaution and I made it known to her. After that I went into counseling, it felt lik my whole world was falling apart, I had just turn 48 at that point. I was on antidepressants for awhile. Docs were running tests of all sorts and everything came back clean. Went back yearly to GYN and they ran tests each year, no results. I was on the Pill this whole time and I still had all these symptoms. Only time I went off was for testing.

At 48 the yeast issues, urinary urgency, canker sores, bladder infections, and incontinence at times all started. I got that all under control. The only person feeling this was connected to perimenopause was my GP but becasue tests could not prove anything GYN convinced me it was not the case. My GYN told me the classic symptoms of peri was hot flashes and I was not having them.

A year ago mild hot flashes on the tops of my arms started. Moods have been good for the most part.......if I start feeling irritable I usually dismiss myself from the situation anymore. I have had no yeast issues in a long time. In the past year the peroids have been every other month, some crazy long and hard, alot of breast pain and vibrating feelings way low which feels like it is on the left side of the bladder. 

I have found primrose oil couipled with vit E helps the breast pain. B12 and B6 have helped me with my energy. I used to having flinching in my legs but since going on a multi mineral that has changed that. I do make sure I get 2000 ml vit D and 1200 ml of cacium each day. Alot of my symptoms have passed but a few still lingering.

The reason I finally concluded myself that this was all peri was meeting with one of my counselors who has his doctorette's degree and he told me that in both men and women one of the first signs of hormonal change is digestive issues and when I look back to that point that is when evrything esle started too. I think GYN testing only shows the lack in hormones once you start missing cycles.

• Posted

Mine has lasted six months. Before that it was about every other month or three. I have read that it gets worse right before the end, so I'm hoping I'm at the end.

But then I have read other posts here and elsewhere where women in perimeno have bled up to 21 months. It's not usually heavy, so I'm not anemic, but it was heavy the first month and the fifth month. I am pretty sick and tired of it.

I am not a candidate for HRT, even if I wanted it. I use progesterone cream and evening primrose cream, which has helped a lot, and I am ordering chasteberry next.

• Posted

FancyGoldFish, read about the chasteberry first befor you try it. I was willing to try anything becasue there have been times when in just the first 2 days of a cycle I woudl go thru a whole box of female products and could not get far away from a bathroom and I heard the chasteberry was supposed to help so I tried it. After 2 weeks on the product I was feeling an upset stomach and suspected it was the supplement so I went off. The very next day i started bleeding again and I had a period just 2 weeks prior. I think it was the supplement. I think it interfers with your body's natural rythmn. It might work well for you but after reading about it and having the experience I did, I thre out the bottle.
  • Posted

Oops! I meant evening primrose oil in a capsule. I wish there were a way to edit our posts.
  • Posted

hi weary Yes my periods used to be about 4 day long but i recently had one that lasted 25 days frown horrible time it was with all your symptoms and they just wear you down dont they. I joined a Yoga class but i get so dizzy and off balance i had to stop so i just go on my stepper when i can but its not enough.  its a conundrum ok,  vent, vent x
  • Posted

Hello a couple of years ago I had wacky periods. You name it long ones, heavy ones etc. By chance have you had your thyroid checked? I ended up having a very underactive thyroid but I don't doubt that I'm not going through Perimenopause they have a lot of the same symptoms. Good luck to you hope you feel better.
    • Posted

Hi donna my periods are all over come on for 3 days then stop for 3 days then come back on i been takin levothuroxine for 3 months 75 mg will these get better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.