When will it help?

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I started with 25mg five weeks ago and upped to 50 mg on which I have been for three weeks now. But I still wake up feeling anxious, still have panic attacks and feel stressed/anxious. My doc says to give this dose some more time, and I will see him again in two weeks. Is there hope that within a few weeks it really starts to work? I have had a couple of good days, such as last Monday, but more bad days. I also haven't slept through a whole night yet.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Absolutely there is hope that it will work. I’m on 50 mgs as well and I didn’t feel much of anything the first three weeks or so but by the 6 th week I started having multiple good days now on my 8 th week on 50 mg I’m feeling 100% better. A lot of people on this forum do very well on 50mg. Of course it depends on the person, some need a higher dose but only your doctor should advise you upping your dosage! Just give it a few more weeks and you should be on your way!! 
    • Posted

It’s just that yesterday and today I have two really bad days, worse muscle cramping, worse panic attacks etc. I thought things would slowt improve. Every time I am happy because I have had a beter day, I get bad days again. This maken me even more anxious and stad.
  • Posted

My GP said it can take 12wks to show maximum effect, so you could hang fire a bit before you discuss a further increase ...? 

I have been on Sert 50mg about 12 weeks + and altho much better, I still have morning anxiety

I am speaking to my GP next week, and am going to ask to up a bit - 75mg ? 

Hoping for you x 

• Posted

yes, in the morning I wake up feeling anxious or with pelvic cramping. It’s the worst than. 

I just don’t get the fact that I sometimes have a better day and a really bad day after that. 

• Posted

Maybe you. Need a higher dose? But we won't know for sure until 22 th week

• Posted

Hi Ren,

I started on 25 and have been on 50. I’m at the 8 week mark. I don’t believe these kinds of medications are miracle workers in that everyday becomes perfect, however, I have my calm life back most every day. I have an occasional day when I’m feeling a bit of anxiety and a night about once a week when I only sleep a few hours. But compared to the long panic attack filled days of hell and little sleep most nights that I felt 8 weeks ago? I woke today feeling positive, centered and calm after 7 hrs sleep. Hang in there Ren and give the med a chance to work. I know you have been on it 8 weeks but I’m still feeling improvement each week at the 8 wk point. If not, maybe your doc will consider upping it a bit. I’m very impressed with this medication because I’m finding joy in life again most days. Going for long walks greatly helps my mood for the day, give it a try. Wishing you calm days and sleep full nights very soon. - x kat

• Posted

Thanks. Your story sounds positive. No, I have been on sertraline almost five weeks now, of which three weeks on 50mg.
    • Posted

Then don’t give up hope. I had the biggest calming positive improvement at 6-7 weeks. It just happened one morning. Awoke with a huge smile. Only got better from then on. Your morning will come too! Hugs, kat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.