When will self-test DIY smear kits become availiable?

Posted , 6 users are following.

[b:2d91f6a4cf]I turned 25 a few months ago and got that lovely letter from the NHS inviting me for my smear test.

Trouble is, and this may very well sound pathetic, but I am absolutely terrorfied of it. Everytime I think of phoning up and booking an appointment, I break done in tears. Nobody, not even my boyfriend, see's me 'down there' and I just can't walk into the doctors surgery and whip my clothes off in full light for a stranger. The thought of laying there exposing myself like that makes me feel sick. Does anyone else get so scared about it they have never been? Do the people who manage to pluck up the courage do things like shave and trim and spray perfume etc etc beforehand?

I am worried that if I go, I will suffer mentally. Most people will turn around and say 'well would you rather get cancer then?' and that is really not the issue. Of course I don't want cancer, and yes - I do realise how pathetiic I sound, believe me!!

So, does anyone know when these home DIY test kits are supposed to be coming out? I would have no issues in using one and I think they would be a huge success.

I can't go for a smear test, but I would gladly do it myself.[/b:2d91f6a4cf]

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

You post sounds like it could have been written by me 8 years ago! Today I finally went for my first smear test (I'm 33), 8 years after my initial invitation. Like you I was terrified and couldn't even contemplate getting it done. I have been avoiding it for years. However, I am now sitting here wondering what all the fuss was about. To be honest I feel really embarassed and stupid for not getting it done already, that's how easy the test was. I even said to the nurse \"is that it?\". I didn't feel exposed at all. I don't know how it is at other surgeries but I was told to undress behind a curtain, lay on the bed and cover myself with a paper sheet thing, the nurse didn't come behind the curtain until I was ready. I think that really helped. I think that's pretty standard procedure or should be anyway. Considering it took me 8 years to book it and I hardly slept at all last night, was panicking all day and had to take anti-diorreah tablets this morning! It really was nothing to worry about and I would not think twice about getting it done again. Please just go and get it done and if afterwards you really truly think it was as bad as you thought it would be then let me know and I'll give you my address and you can come round my house and give me a slap!

ps before you go have a quick wash down there and put on a clean pair of knickers and yes I did have trim (it all boosts the confidence lol)

• Posted

Hi Luna, I have the same problem as you have, mainly because I was abused as a child and I won't go for a smear test. The word is horrible alone. I want one of them diy smear tests. I heared that they have them in africa, so why not here? Especially after Jade Goodies death, I feel like I really want to test myself. But I really don't want to go exposing myself inforn of anybody. You are not alone.

bring on diy tests

[quote:dc18bdfbbf=\"Luna \"][b:dc18bdfbbf]I turned 25 a few months ago and got that lovely letter from the NHS inviting me for my smear test.

Trouble is, and this may very well sound pathetic, but I am absolutely terrorfied of it. Everytime I think of phoning up and booking an appointment, I break done in tears. Nobody, not even my boyfriend, see's me 'down there' and I just can't walk into the doctors surgery and whip my clothes off in full light for a stranger. The thought of laying there exposing myself like that makes me feel sick. Does anyone else get so scared about it they have never been? Do the people who manage to pluck up the courage do things like shave and trim and spray perfume etc etc beforehand?

I am worried that if I go, I will suffer mentally. Most people will turn around and say 'well would you rather get cancer then?' and that is really not the issue. Of course I don't want cancer, and yes - I do realise how pathetiic I sound, believe me!!

So, does anyone know when these home DIY test kits are supposed to be coming out? I would have no issues in using one and I think they would be a huge success.

I can't go for a smear test, but I would gladly do it myself.[/b:dc18bdfbbf][/quote:dc18bdfbbf]

• Posted

Hi Luna,

Don't worry you're not alone...far from it! I was abused in my pre-teens and had to checked out after that, very much against my will. The test did come back abnormal, i'm now 29 and i've never had it followed up! I'm really worried about this but i found the first one so uncomfortable that i just can't make myself do it. The actual procedure wasn't uncomfortable...aside from them using COLD metal impliments.....it was just the exposure i found unbearable!

The sooner they bring the DIY version the better!

• Posted

[b:4ef9fa431a]From reading what you wrote Luna i feel like i am talking to myself, i totally agree with everything you said! not many people i speak to about this understands me and thinks im being silly!

I did contact someone who is trying to bring the diy kit to the market in the uk and she replied to me saying this:

\"We are still working on the kit and will be doing clinical trials in the not too distant future. Unfortunately medical products take a long time to bring to market! I will let you know as soon as the kit is commercially available\"

atleast it will hopefully be available for us soon!

[/b:4ef9fa431a] :D

• Posted

You are definitely not alone on this one, i am 28 and have never had a smear. I keep getting reminder letters from the health authority and gp. I replied to letter sent by my gp some months ago which will take me off there reminder list for next 3 years. However i still keep getting reminders off health people. Like you Luna i to feel sick at the thought of having it done, every time i go to the doctors the nurse mentions it and i told her i don't want it done. I would like to be in a position where i felt able to have it done but the thought freaks me out, i was beginning to feel like i was some kind of freak for feeling this way. Reading your post has made me feel i am not alone. I know even if i made an appointment i would get there are feel trapped and back out and then would be wasting there time !!!
  • Posted

I had my 1st smear test done today. I was terrified. Literally wasn't sure if I would be able to do it.

The nurse started chatting nineteen to the dozen about random stuff as soon as I got in there. At first I felt: please be quiet, I need to psych myself up for this but actually it was probably really gd as no time for last min fears.

I got a screen to go behind to take my underwear off and then just lay on the bed with my skirt still on. Then when you're ready the nurse comes and sit by your feet and tells you how to lie.

It really wasn't that bad. Apparently mine was tricky- I was told I have a tilted cervix which makes it awkward but it still didn't take very long. It was a bit uncomfortable at points but not really painfully and as soon as it was done I wouldn't have known I'd had it done.

I never saw what she was doing but I think she used a little plastic thing. I had this horrible image in my head of some big metal thing beforehand. So not that bad.

I think if you're scared to go talk to friends who have had it done (my mate had her 1st smear a week ago so told me all about it). Chances are they felt nervous too and will reassure you.

Wear a bit skirt. You can then keep it on throughout. This really helped me feel less naked somehow.

Talk to your doc/nurse and explain your fears. They can probably set your mind at ease e.g. maybe they can show you instrument, talk you through it in advance. maybe you can arrange to give it a go on the basis that if you really can't handle it you can stop part way through?

Make sure whoeever is going to do it is sympathetic and understands your fears then you will feel much more confident.

The way I think of it is that if I got cancer I'd regret not going. So I forced myself and it was actually 100 times better than I thought.

When you have booked the appointment don't think about it -just make yourself go there on autopilot. I had a 9am one which was gd as no time for cold feet.

• Posted

Hi,

I know exactly how you feel. I'm 28 and I know I should go and it's for the best, I just can't bring myself around to it. I hadn't been to see the Dr in 6 years because every time I went they brought it up. But recently I had to go because I was suffering with anxiety issues. I dreaded the Dr bringing it up but she never, but when I went to get a blood test, the nurse brought it up and she wasn't nice about it either and was very patronising and I felt like a child. So that's put me off again, incase I get her! I didn't get her name unfortunately, as if I did get the courage to book one I would request not to have her.

All the Doctors treat it as 'no big deal' but for me it is a huge deal and the thought of stipping down naked and being 'probed' down there gets me in a panic. I can't even get tampons in because I tense too much and sex is very painful and that's with my husband who I trust..so having a complete stranger down there inserting something in me is a big no no. As I would just tense up and they wouldn't get it in and I'd be so humiliated!

If they go on about how important it is to have these tests, why don't they think of alternatives for women that are really anxious? Like the home test kit that you suggested. I read about that and think it's a fantastic idea and it doesn't look that bad either! I think if they brought those out, then every woman would have a smear and they wouldn't have to chase people up.

• Posted

hi i had my first smear test last year at the age of 28. i came back as positive for cancerous cells. i then had to go to the hospital for laser treatment. it's not nice. especially as the only person who had 'been down there' for the past 9 years had been my boyf. i'm not going to lie, it has put me off sex since. and i'm trying to find a way to get back into the groove, but it's hard. and that's just my boyf ha ha!! having a strange man down there is off putting, but then maybe you will have a good looking one!!!!!
  • Posted

It really scared me also when I got my first test but girls we got no choice. smile Afterwards I felt okay with it. For me it's tolerable.
  • Posted

i am so glad i found this page tonight to know i'm not a freak. I went to my parents house christmas eve and they handed me the letter, i burst out cryin and they have refused to speak to me since... I am even cryin thinkin about the letter, i don't know what to do but they will not speak to me till i find the guts to go. The thought makes me feel physically ill, sick and dizzy sad
  • Posted

www.tampap.com/content/home

This is the current test I have found, there was another one about 6 months ago I found online which was£99 but I can't find it any more, so ladies try this one, not tried it yet you could order yours or wait for me to report back but their not expensive to try yourself. xxxx

• Posted

Please go and get a smear done i do understand how you are feeling i went 10 years without having a smear and when i did pluck up the currage i was rushed stright to hospital as my cervix was so inflamed and i had cancer.

what every one has said on here its really not as bad as you think. I have to have one every few months now as one lady said they are very good and will explain everything to you and the nurse who did mind on thursday of last week understood how bad i felt.

She told me to undress behind the curtains and lay on the couch i was wearing leggins that day so she gave me some paper towel sheet to cover me and when i was ready she came through it takes no more than a minute it is not painful but can be a little uncomfortable but i know its really hard but if you can relax just a little it does help. She will put a spectrum in just to open the cervix and then use like a very large cotton bud to wipe a round he cervix then its alld one she will take the spectrum out and leave you to get dressed again. no one will walk in while shes doing it as they put a do not distrub notice on the door. Please dont leave it as long as i did its really worth having done for the matter of a few seconds and that really is all it takes honestly. Wendy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.