When will this go away??!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi! I had PR for about 5-6 weeks until I was diagnosed correctly. Weeks 6-8 I did two UVB treatments at my dermatologists office. It helped with the old spots on my legs quickly but the newer ones are taking longer to heal and still look red. They are starting to flake and get dried out. How much longer until I fully heal and my skin starts looking normal again? It's summer and I want to wear shorts! So embarrassing! I've been using head and shoulders for a body wash, desonide steroid cream twice a day and tea tree/olive oil body wash and cream. Also just started taking hair/skin/nails multivitamin. Anyone have anything else to contribute to help speed up the healing process? I'm desperate!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If it's starting to flake and dry out that means it is healing and will start to go away soon! That's what happened to me. It takes a few days, but the flaking is a good thing. I recommend tanning in a bed again, or maybe a few times. Even 6-8 minutes each time helped me.
    • Posted

Thanks! I'm going to go tanning again tomorrow. I'm hoping this is the last time I'll need it. I hate tanning beds 😁
  • Posted

I'm in week 6 of of PR (having it for the 3rd time in my life). I've been going to the anning bed every other day for 3 weeks. My entire upper body (torso,arms, neck) i completey healed. However,my legs refused to heal. The top part of my legs is turning brownish in color so I know those are close to healing...butfrom my kneesdown is stil red and flaky. SO, I'm not showing a lot of improvement there. I feel your frstation...I am not comfortable enough to be in shorts yet. I've been applying lotion 2x day to my legs to help the healing process. I tried HEad and Shoulders with no help. I will continue to go to the tanning bed over the next 2 weeks, but then I am done. I don't like the risks of the tanning bed, but I also don't like dressing like it's winter time in the summer either! ha!!!
    • Posted

Wow 3rd time? I've read that if you have it once you build a life long immunity to it.. I'm guessing that's not always true. This skin rash is enough to send me over the edge.. I can't imagine having it another time! 😁 I'm hoping this heals in time for a wedding in Sept. Have you had any scars from the spots?
  • Posted

Hi there, I'm having pityriasis lichenoides chronica (PLC) for almost 2 years now. So yea, I agree that when the skin is drying up and flaking, it's healing. I have not wore sleeveless or shorts outside the house for nearly a year. It is very depressing indeed for girls but all I can say is, don't ever hope this thing will go away quickly. It MAY go away eventually, it may also not. The important thing is accept what you have, continue the treatment you think that helps (because it's not quite the same for everyone) and don't ever have high hopes. Just need to accept the reality and live with it. If you start to hope, you might just get crushed by the hope, And one important fact is, even when it goes away, never think that it will not relapse. =) I'm a medical student and believe what I say, not all medication prescribed to you are definitely going to help you. The problem with skin disease is there's no definite treatment and you just need to come up with your own treatment plan. If this drug/treatment doesn't help you long term, don't worry, try on. Change your diet. That's my greatest advice. Reduce meat and go more vege and fruits. I'm not sure whether my skin heals because of my diet, but it definitely plays a part. Remember, what you eat is what made you who you are. =)

Cheers. We are all sufferers here accompanying you. You're not alone. =)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.