When will this start working

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been suffering from anxiety/stress/panic attacks for a while now. After talking to my DR we decided to start taking celexa. I took 10mg for about 3 weeks and then bumped up to 20 mg which has only been about 3 weeks so far.. So, the question is when will i start feeling better? Pre meds i would have good days and not so good days. i really dont see any change since being on the meds...Starting to get a bit frustrated. 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

8to 12 weeks you should notice positive gradual feelings..is a very slow working med..
  • Posted

It can take about 6 to 8 weeks to feel good. Hang in there and it will get better.
  • Posted

Since it could take longer than expected i should probably stay with 20mg? I am a pretty big guy not sure if size has an effect of the dosage.
    • Posted

Absolutely let the twenty settle ..every time you increase you will be back to square one.
  • Posted

It’ll take time for things to settle - the celexa is changing your brain chemistry so it needs time to do it. Usually it takes 3-6 weeks for it to kick in so give it a bit more time. 

In the meantime maybe try to headspace app to help with grounding you?

Good luck.  I’m sure you’ll be fine!

• Posted

give it time ,the medication needs to work in your system and for it too  work it needs too build up ssri and that takes approx 4/6 weeks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.