When you say ''Ive gone years without Af'', do you mean...

Posted , 9 users are following.

Do you mean yrs of tiptoeing around carefully, taking lifts instead of stairs, not running for the bus, careful when you make love, not drinking alcohol,or smoke, avoiding MSG and caffiene, panicking each time your heart trips up for a few seconds...

Or do you mean living as normal a life as ever, and doing the opposite of the above? Because I'm in the former boat, I'm avoiding everything thats fun, for fear!

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Terence,

?For me - the opposite of the above.

?The first 4 to 6 months were a learning curve -learning about AF and learning about the drugs I was prescribed. Then I associated an onset of AF with food I'd eaten. Once I addressed the food issued by changing my diet it was business as usual. I fly regularly to see my family in Australia, last trip I took the co pilots seat for a seaplane flight around Sydney Harbour and nearby coast line, did a controlled Bridge Climb of the 500 ft high Sydney Harbour Bridge, and closer to home have been taken up in a glider and with an instructor guiding me spent about 30 minutes flying the thing - all nice adreneline pumping stuff - have had a partial knee replacement, I regularly climb the Cornish South West Coastal path including the challenging bits from sea level up 400 ft cliffs.

?I do avoid MSG I still booze on, party animal like and enjoy life. I was 65 when diagnosed and turn 73 this September - I still work and drive a tourist bus and physically load passengers baggage (most of it over 15 kg) for between 30 and 40 hours a week. And yes, I still pass my annual DVLA bus drivers licence holders medical each year.

Once those first 4 to 6 months were outta the way I said sod it - AF isn't gonna control my life. And it hasn't.

By the way - I come from a family where one side of it has a pattern of strokes and AF in its gene pool.

John.

• Posted

Sounds like it is mind over matter.  I wish you could bottle it and send it to me. 
    • Posted

You could try hypnotherapy. It works for some people others do 'mindfullness'

• Posted

My wife would no doubt have me "tiptoeing around". But frankly, I have never really identified what it is that triggers my bouts of Paroxysmal AF. Main factor seems to be how long since the last one. I think I get them rather more at weekends, which is when I (moderately) drink wine - but I am not giving that up! I avoid caffeine after noon because it keeps me awake at night! At 70 I am not too good at running for the bus. I avoid MSG on principle. And I am not one to panic.

AFAIK bouts of AF are not in themselves harmful, as long as you take "blood thinning" medication. I'd rather be without it though - I feel grotty for the first few hours of a bout and need to sit down a fair bit. If I was still working it would be more of a nuisance.

I'm rather hoping I will get an ablation in the next few months, as long as Paroxysmal does not become Persistent (which I am told rules out ablation).

Good luck to y'all!

• Posted

Hi BampaOwl, thanks for the reply. 

So,  Persistent rules out ablation? Is this so? I would have thought it would make a stronger case for ablation??

• Posted

That's what my (British NHS) cardio told me a couple of weeks ago. As far as I can tell, the logic is that if you are in Persistent it's a fairly steady state and the symptoms disapper - or a least die down. That's what I found myself the one time I was in AF for a few weeks together.  (Changed beta blockers and went back to Paroxysmal.)

• Posted

I did not do ablation.. Could you have a normal ekg with persistent
    • Posted

Makes no sense if one is always in afib in persistent...why no ablation.did not hear of this..dr. still thinks I should do it...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.