When you should not need a face to face assessment for PIP

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was looking at the assessors handbook this afternoon and came across this:

Cases that should not require a face-to-face consultation

2.5.10. In certain circumstances it should be possible to provide advice at a paper based review. Although each case should be determined individually, the following types of cases should not normally require a face-to-face consultation:

• The health condition(s) is severe and associated with a high level of functional impairment which is consistently claimed. Examples might include:

Claimants with severe neurological conditions such as – dementia.

Not now claiming PIP so I have no idea if this actually happens, but for DLA  would the same have applied?

The reason I ask and laugh at the instructions is that I had to have a full face to face assessment for DLA in 2012/13 and one of my confirmed diagnosis is Dementia. I went to the CMHTOP for a memory test, then to have a CT brain scan at the request of my GP - it came back as vascular dementia. 

Seems that the assessors over stepped their mark with me!

Anybody else had this happen to them? What should happen rarely actually happens?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

remember esa is a group for disabled people who can in some way even with help fillin forms, operate a computer, use a phone this can be used to find work. pip is based how much care you require. neither are based on your conditioned. with the introduction of universal credit with is been delayed and now the computer softwhear (wich is been produced by IBM) now been ready to be rolled out for all groups. it won't be long before we get moved over again. just remember your payments will be protected , you won't get any less, when we move over to universal credit, and remember if you are able to do something , are you able to do this safely, and painfree. have you told your dr the symptons, in my case i have to write every single thing down due to memory issues. i have obtained all my medical reports have looked into each one, beento the dr and asked questions and compaired the likely cause of my illnesses. if you have not got any medical evidence, ring your dr and ask about your condition , also see about ringing your hospital and been put through to the department of your condition and ask if you can be put through to the securty of the consultant who saw you ask for your medical report. if you have no recolection , put your condition down on paper, the hospital or dr and telephone number. its is difficult , it is frustrating  having to prove we are to ill to work. i would love to work, get out and be socially accepted, but for me it won't happen. i hope you might find some of this helpful, google your conserns , use the website, use the computers to right out how your illness effects you on a daily bases , as this is more readable, the boxes are way to small, and even on the new esa form are even smaller. use facebook groups, use whatever resorces are free and reliable. never pay for advice. most of all good luck. 
  • Posted

When i was put in the support group esa i was told there was no timescale for this so whats the truth is there a timescale do you have to be reassesed
    • Posted

yes there is a timescale of a max 3 years before being reassessed in the Support Group.
    • Posted

So why did the lady at dwp state there is no end date to the esa support group . I really dont understand this.

I was even told on here that there is no timescale once your put in the support group of esa

• Posted

Support Group claimants have a maxium of 3 years before they're sent another ESA50 form. I know because it happened to me last year. Whoever told you there's no timescale has most certainly given you the wrong info, sorry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.