Where are the people who had Eustachian tube balloon dilation?????

Posted , 12 users are following.

What are the results? Does this work?

Is there a recovery time? What happens during recovery? Why can't I find success stories from the balloon procedure?

I'm supposed to have the balloon dilation on Friday and honestly I'm starting to change my mind. I've had this for over 2 years and I don't know if I can do the roller coaster of thinking I'm going to be healed to not be. I find it crazy that I can't find any success stories on here.

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've never had that procedure, but once discussed it with my ENT consultant.  He said it would work for me.  There was oe person on here that's had it and it did work for a while at least.  Once the eustachian tube is opened to allow drainage, what's to stop it from closing again.  Why don't you Google it and read all about it.  My left ear very blocked again today after hving had microsuction last week....nothing last long enough.  I'll be definitely starting the Prednisolonce steroid tablets tomorrow morning that my consulatnat prescribed last week.....these are a last result for a few months relief from this retched business.  Proble is, while on then they prevent from sleeping.  Small price to pay to have completely clear ears and congestion free.

Let me know how you get on

Anne

• Posted

Micrisuction? Same as a Myringotomy?

I don't need to google I know everything about the dialation what I don't know is actual people who have had it done with success.

Just wondering if your a great candidate for the procedure why you haven't had it done?

• Posted

What country are you in ?  I can't argue with my consultant when he says it would be no good for me.  If you have it done, what's to stop it happening again, these procedures can't keep being carried out.  Like grommets too, they fall out after a few months when the hole in the eardrum has healed over....then mucus gets back into tubes, bingo it starts all over again.  I'm in England, so fortunately, we don't have to pay for any consultations, or operations.  However, when my ETD flairs up really bad and I'm not due to see my consultant, I pay and see him privately at my local private hospital.  By googling stuff at least you can decide for yourself whether or not it will be beneficial for you.  Did your doctor say it will work and are you put to sleep during the procedure.  Didn't you ask him all the details ??#

Anne

• Posted

I forgot to mention with difference between Microsuction and the other one you spoke of......only had microsuction, so can't comment on that question.  Not syringing with water.  Mine, he uses a big machine like a vacuume cleaner.  No pain but very noisy.

Anne

• Posted

I've just looked that up and with Mringotomy a small incision is made in the eardrum to allow the build up of pressure and mucus to drain out.  My eardrums perforate on their own.

Anne

• Posted

Ahh how does the feel when they do? Can you tell? Does it heal quick? Does the hole effect your hearing?

I guess they say once dialated they start to work on their own.

Mine only completely ability when I have a cold.

Normally they pop and crackle EVERY time I swallow.

I'm in te United States and the balloon dialation was stoves by our FDA last September. They say there is a 97% success rate but I know another women who flew to California to have it done and her systems came back 4 weeks later.

• Posted

Sounds like it's just sheer luck then.  Get it done, then you'll be able to either recommend it to all of us, or say it was no good.  Yes perforations do heal over unless you're like me and continually try and pop your ear, in which case it won't heal.  It's so hard not to keep doing it, but I only do it gently and it nearly always pops, but closes up again.  Dread lying down tonoght, as I'll probably be very congested and still wake up with this retched blocked ear.  I paid £100 for the EarPopper, that was no good.  So as I've already said, I'll be starting on the steriod tablets in the morning.  When are you due to have the procedure ?

Good luck if you decide to go ahead.....anything is worth a try.

Anne

• Posted

I'm gonna go through with it.

As long as it doesn't make it worse I'll be ok.

It's been 2 years of this and I never had an issue Before until then.

Never an ear infection. Nothing.

They say forcing your ears open is bad

• Posted

I think you're doing the right thing in having it done.  I've had a dreadful nights sleep last night.  Ear blocked and polyps stopping me from being able to breath through my nose.

Two years is a very long time to suffer like this, however, I've been suffering the very same thing since 1984.  Sometimes over the years it's been worse than others.  Drags me down terribly.  Hope not to use the nose popping though, just to open tube for a while before it closes again.  So many of us on here are suffering just like you and I and I think most people too have tried just about everything.  I'm about to start the 3 week course of Prednisolone.  Hopefully, I'll get approx 3 months of relief and even regaining my sense of smell and taste for a while.  Blessed allergies are to blame.  I've been writing on here about Occipital Bone Pain that a lady is suffering from....really think this could also be connected to our ETD due to all the inflammation....who really knows !!  Good Luck and do let me know if it works

Kind regards

Anne

• Posted

Hey Anne!

I did! One week ago today.

I still have some healing time but as of right now I'm still cracking and popping.

From what I've seen from the few people I know who have had the procedure it's anywhere from 2-8 weeks for recovery & for inflammation to subside from the procedure.

I'm hoping the popping and crackling is just from the inflammation.

My doctor didn't go agressive on the dialation in fear of Patulous and he showed me a pic they were completely closed and they were successfully dialated so it's a waiting game now if/when the symptoms go

• Posted

Hey! 

Did your popping and cracking ever subside after surgery recovery. I had my dilation three days ago and still have lots of cracking and popping in one year. Curious if yours resolved over time 

• Posted

Hello miss00623.I posted a note here some time ago & had almost no responses & the odd one that that did favourably was not in Britain.Are you in Britain & if so I'd be obliged to you if you'd share the information as to where you've found a surgeon to carry out the procedure.

• Posted

Sorry Michael I'm in the United States but if you contact the balloon company they can give you a name and contact information for a local rep to contact so you can find a doctor doing the procedure in your area.

• Posted

Just reading your message Michael, I don't think they use this procedure over here in England.  My ENT wouldn't use it on me.  I live in Kent.  Seems as though a few people on here are asking for the Prednisolone steroid tablets just to get some relief.  I'm on my second week and feel brilliant.  Just one draw-back one side effect is not sleeping that great, however I can put up with that and everything will be back to normal soon and hope I will have lasting relief through the Summer.  Yearly, taking this drug (I've been told isn't too bad) I'll do or take anything for relief of this condition.  And as I've said before, with some people that can be a matter of life or death.  they dampen down all the inflammation, shrinks polyps, and dry up all that horrible mucus.

Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.