Where are the people who had Eustachian tube balloon dilation?????

Posted , 12 users are following.

What are the results? Does this work?

Is there a recovery time? What happens during recovery? Why can't I find success stories from the balloon procedure?

I'm supposed to have the balloon dilation on Friday and honestly I'm starting to change my mind. I've had this for over 2 years and I don't know if I can do the roller coaster of thinking I'm going to be healed to not be. I find it crazy that I can't find any success stories on here.

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dear miss00623.In answer to your query.I have not had a single reply from anyone who has had balloon dilation or a saline wash.I'm in U.K. & it appears that this treatment is unavailable here.My doctor tells me he has made several inquiries to various hospitals but no positive feedback

• Posted

Did you get the Balloon dilation done ?

Anne

I notice that these messages are coming in my Trash....good job I checked

• Posted

I had Eustachian Tube Dialation performed yesterday with the Acclarent Aera in St Paul. My symptoms and procedures in my right ear:

Performated ear drum with 3 failed myringoplastys

1 removed Cholesteotoma during 1 myringoplasty

Loss of hearing

Full aural feeling

Tinnitus

So far my symptoms feel about the same as they did yesterday. However, my doctor did say that recovery can be up to 6 weeks and that there will be swelling. Judging by the amount of dried blood that I spit up this morning I don't doubt that my throat and ET are a little beat up. I am hoping that will go down as the days go on.

I get relief from the fullness when my ear pops, however it has been incredibly difficult for my right ear to do so which is why I feel this procedure was the right direction for me to go. If my ear pops more throughout the day then I know I will be on the path to recovery. I will try to keep everyone updated.

• Posted

Also, people generally don't search the internet to find answers to why good things are happening to them, only the bad. That is why there are so few success stories. If you already have the answer then why search for it? Also, i feel that some people are hesitant to create an account just to talk to strangers about their personal experiences.

I hope you got the procedure done. I know how aggrevating these symtoms can be and you should try everything you can to find relief. I maxed out my $3k deductible in a month and a half between seeing 2 dentists for TMJ, botox for TMJ (not covered by insurance and was $1000), Brain MRI, TMJ MRI, 2 GP visits, 1 ENT visit, tested for allergies (postive for dogs and feathers), and now the ET dialation.

• Posted

I agree people don't come back after they are better. My ent actually did an myringtomy during my dilation. Hopefully your eardrums will heal now. I had a lot of bleeding also becayse of my deveated septum and he moved something out of the way (I can't remember the name😩wink my throat hurt as well from the tube down my throat took a few days for that to feel better.

For me the crackling & popping is the worst.

I'll be 3 weeks in Friday so I still have some time to go.

It sounds like you had a lot going on and should expect improvement.

My doctor didn't do a full dialation because he was worried about patulous so I might have to do it again.

I was his second patient dialation so he still has a lot to learn as well.

I had allergy testing and I think I have some tmj but I believe I clench because of my ears.

• Posted

Morning Miss, sorry to hear you're are still suffering.  I woudn' begin to know how to serch the internet for a cure for ETD.  I have just finished a 20 day reducing course of Prednisolone and feel great.  Just to get a few weeks/months hopefully of relief from the dreadful blocked ears and sinus pressure is wonderful....even smell and taste have returned.  Because I already have Optic Nerve damage from the Bacterial Meningitis I contracted through ETD I think my ENT consultant may not want to use Balloon dilation on me....evidently, very close to the eyes.  I'd love to find a cure for this complaint, but sadly I don't think there is one.  My ENT consultant, whom is brilliant would have come up with something by now, as I've been suffering this awful condtion since the early 1980's and still to this day suffering, with small breaks in between.  I've tried absolultely everything.  Reflexology, Accupuncture, herbal, EarPopper, the lot.  Whenit gets really bad the only thing that helps me is the Prednisolone.  That mustn't be used that often either, sue to side effects.  Tinnitus is usually louder when ears are blocked, but never goes.  I had sinus surgery to clean them out and remove polyps....all came back again, obviously due to allergies.

I really hope you feel better very soon.

Anne

• Posted

Did you have to go back for a 2nd procedure for balloon dilation? 

You were the 2nd patient?!

Are you having any success?  It would be good to hear updates/input directly from true patients on these procedures, not from TV shows.  -V.

• Posted

Hi miss00623

I was just wondering how things are going now that it's been several more months since your surgery. I hope you had some improvement in the popping, crackling etc. As I mentioned in a previous post, unfortunately the balloon dilation surgery did nothing to help my symptoms, but if others have been helped by it then that's a positive. Over a year now since i had the surgery done, I'm still thinking about trying it again, although I've heard mixed things about the chances of success if it did nothing to help the first time.

• Posted

Just wondering if you ever received a reply to this. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.