Where can i buy Acamprosate in South Africa

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there

Does anyone know where i could purchase Acamprosate in Johannesburg, SA or there is a subtitute in SA i can use if Acamprosate is not available in SA. I have look everywhere here in SA which i can't find

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Shannon,

how long have u line in SA. Do u have a dr there?

• Posted

Hi I am South African and lived here for 40 years. Yes I do have a Dr but according to him and other doctors in SA it does not seem Acramposate is available in SA this is why I asked if there is a substitute that is available in SA
    • Posted

Call the pharmacudical company ask them for help. U would be surprised of their response. Ask UR pharmist or go online for contact #.

• Posted

Alcoholism is one of the most prevalent substance dependence disorders in the world. Advances in research in the neurobiological mechanisms underlying alcohol dependence have identified specific neurotransmitter targets for the development of pharmacological treatments. Acamprosate, marketed under the brand name Campral, is an orally administered drug available by prescription in the U.S. and throughout much of the world for treating alcohol dependence. Its safety and efficacy have been demonstrated in numerous clinical trials worldwide. Here we provide an overview of acamprosate in the context of the neurobiological underpinnings of alcohol dependence. We propose that unlike previously available pharmacotherapies, acamprosate represents a prototype of a neuromodulatory approach in the treatment of alcohol dependence. A neuromodulatory approach seeks to restore the disrupted changes in neurobiology resulting from chronic alcohol intake. It is our opinion that a neuromodulatory approach will provide a heuristic framework for developing more effective pharmacotherapies for alcohol dependence.

• Posted

Hello Shannon, Acamprosate is available by prescription only, I just checked by Googling and it IS available on prescription in South Africa so I think the only way you can get it is by seeing a doctor. It is not available for you just buy over the counter, anywhere. There is no substitute for Acamprosate (Campral) which is used to reduce craving. There is another drug called Naltrexone (Revia) which works differently by reducing the 'high' in the brain that people experience when drinking alcohol which they claim, eventually, leads to a reduction in the craving.

Acamprosate IS licenced for use in South Africa. Quoting from the US Library of Medicine website: 'Acamprosate has been available by prescription since 1989 in France and more recently in most European and Latin American coutries as well as Australia, South Africa, and Hong Kong.'

I would advise you to call some local alchol treatment clinics and ask for advice on whether they have seen it used with any of their clients, they ought to know. If it's anything like the UK, General Practitioners have a terrible knowledge of alcohol problems.

• Posted

Hi Pul Thanks for your reply. I also saw the website were it states campral is avaible in SA but i have now triple checked with my doctor and pharmacist and they still say it is not availabe in SA. Only antabuse is available in SA. Not sure why the website says it is but anyway i will ask the AA like you suggested.
    • Posted

Hi Shannon..

have u tried Baclofen it has also proven in clinical trials to diminished the cravings in the brain by turning off the Neuro transmitters in the addictive part of the brain. Gives a head start to get thru the beginning stages..

very similiar to Campral. Also Ativan and Naltrexone there r many many others it's what's works for u that counts.

Dr. Oliver Ameisen a alcoholoc cardiologists( interview on line) wrote a book on the use of Baclofen. It helped him find sobriety and stay sober.  It's available online . Not pushing any one thing.  I know a few who have had good success with Baclofen.. Just sharing...Just thought I mention it.confused

TC&GB 

• Posted

Thx Hope4Cure for your advice on the Baclofen.  It seems to be available in SA. Amen. Do you perhaps know the daily dosage I should take. This med is damn pricey in SA n I want to make sure I use the right dosage
    • Posted

AA may not be the best people to ask as they are not directly responsible for any medical treatment, just psychological support. A local treatment centre with medical staff is the best place to ask.

Antabuse is an extremely dangerous drug and I wouldn't recommend that for most people. Drinking while on Antabuse can kill you and it also has reactions with all sorts of other things, even the use of aftershave, and other substances containing alcohol, on the skin can cause a reaction.

• Posted

Shannon, it is not simple to suggest a dose of Baclofen to use. If you read the following article from the Guardian newspaper in the UK, you will see that the Dr who prescribed it for himself raised his dose to a very high dose and then brought it down to a maintenance dose.

The other issue you may have to deal with is, is whether Baclofen is licenced for use as an alcohol dependence treatment in South Africa. It is tradionally used as a muscle relaxant.

Nothing's ever simple is it? sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.