Where do I find an expert in UK in anisometropia???

Posted , 2 users are following.

Good afternoon,

After having surgery in one eye to remove a corneal scar, I now have an imbalance issue between my two eyes prescription, causing headaches. ( Called anisometropia I believe ). I now wear a contact lens in one eye to bring it in line with the other eye, but I need glasses for reading. The problem  I have is I have been to 4 different opticians/eye doctors & had 4 different prescriptions/reading glasses, and I am still getting headaches. I know the next option is to get LASIK surgery in one eye to bring it in line with the other, I.e. replicating what the contact lens is doing. I need to see someone in the UK who is an expert in eye imbalance issues ( anisometropia ) as it appears standard opticians/optometrists don’t appear to be able to help me. Does anyone know of anyone in the UK who would be an expert in anisometropia???

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have you asked the surgeon who did your op?  S/he should be able to advise you.  

Was it only Optometrists you saw for the eye test?  

Good luck

• Posted

Good afternoon,

Thanks for the response, the surgeon in Harley Street that did my two operations to remove the corneal scar ( PTK followed by PRK ) has advised the best action now is to get LASIK on my right eye. I am hesitant to do so as I want to know that glasses will help me with reading, in particular VDU work. If I could get glasses that worked now, that would reassure me that LASIK would do the job! The Optometrist that works with the surgeon gave me a prescription but those glasses gave headaches, and the vision wasn’t correct either, hence that didn’t inspire confidence. So I’ve had 4 reading/VDU prescriptions since I’ve been wearing the contact lens in one eye ( Two were from optometrists/opticians, two were from Ophthalmologists, i.e. who I spoke to with regard to potential LASIK surgery). Before I had surgery, I was getting headaches due to the scar, now I’m getting headaches due to the anisometropia, the contact lens helps for distance, I just need to be able to read, or more importantly VDU work as I need to return to work, hence pretty important. Any advice would be much appreciated. Or any advice where I could go to get a definitive answer as I’m running out of ideas!

• Posted

Are you under an NHS Consultant too? 

How did you get a corneal scar in the first place?

• Posted

Hi there, I was under the NHS consultation when I had the corneal scar, I was referred to Addenbrookes in Cambridge who said they couldn’t do anything, all they did was refer me to a Contact lens lady for hard (RGP) lenses in the eye with the scar. This aided the light sensitivity, and helped with the headaches for a short while, but then the headaches continued. Hence, I then went down the avenue of private consultations to remove the scar.

As to how I got the scar, it would appear I had it since I was young, when I was about 5 or 6 I had problems with styes on my eyes & apparently I had a corneal scar. I have never found this to be a problem till about 5 or 6 years ago ( when I hit 40 ) when presbyopia kicked in, I found I started to get headaches/migraines so I had to give up my job in the City.

The operations I had to remove the scar has resolved the light sensitivity, but I am now still getting headaches due to the eye imbalance issue (anisometropia). Hope that helps, thanks....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.