Where do I start?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi people on here. I need some advice please. I have been told I have diverticulosis and just feel so confused after being told it was ibs for 10 years. I have been through camera tests, one up one down, pinch biopsies, stomach acid probe tests and dietitians including the FODMAP diet. Where do I start with something called soluble fibre considering I have done everything possible and drawn a blank. What does the doctor do and should I speak to a dietitian? I have lots of allergies including beans and pulses. Will this getting any better? I feel back at square one. If you have some advice, not nastiness I would be happy to hear it. Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

You may have diverticulitis as well as IBS.  Both are very similar and can be controlled with diet and antispasmodics.  Ask to be referred to a dietician to help you with the Fodmap diet.
    • Posted

This thanks goes out in order to those who have replied. I have been sent a letter to confirm no diverticulitis, I have made a further appointment to see my doctor and dietitian and am going to try linseeds in my diet if I can work out how. It was a shock to here what I had I was told I had ibs initially 10 years back and that I was making a fuss by family. I now need help and reassurance. The help is physical and the dietitian and doctors can sort that. Thanks to people on here for the reassurance. You've all helped, one question what are chia seeds?

• Posted

Since you don’t have diverticulitis, your original diagnosis of IBS must be correct.  Hopefully diet chsnges will help. 
    • Posted

Thanks Pippa, I will try more dietary changes but it seems strange since I've had this diagnosis 10 years!

• Posted

It doesn’t sound that strange.  IBS is chronic and you can either have ongoing symptoms or they can come and go.  IBS isn’t curable but it can go into a period of long remission even for years and then come back especially if you have a bout of stress.
    • Posted

Hi Pippa, that explains a lot. Started some new counselling for assault would that do it? Strange how my doctor knows and won't suggest anything but antidepressants where the rest of my life is OK, well manageable. Looking at acupuncture as sure this will help me to relax. Itching to get back to pilates, can't wait!

• Posted

If you are doing counselling, looking over past traumas could certainly be stressful and trigger IBS. I think doctors want to try and medicate us all as a first option because they have to please the drug companies too.  The only treatmrnt I was offered for neuropathic pain was low dose antidepressants which I decided to avoid. 

Hope the acupuncture helps with the pilates. 

• Posted

Hi Pippa, I am reluctant to put more chemicals in my body as I feel anything unnatural on top of what I already take will just be counterproductive. I have had to take more laxido for this and probably other things too. I have updated my dietitian too, as she wanted to know my results. Hopefully I will now finally get the help I need at last. I will let you know how I get on.
    • Posted

I only take the odd antispasmodic for IBS and occasional nurofen   I keep away from anything stronger.
  • Posted

Sam

The problem you have is a narrowing of the Diverculem an area of your plumbing, It is not a real problem just needs a change of diet. I had to increase fiber in my diet. Bread, Potatoes etc that will assist bowel movements. Your GP will arrange instruction

BOB

• Posted

Hi, Chia seeds are high in fibre soluble and insoluble, plus other things, if you soak them in water for a couple of hours they become glutinous and you can sort of drink them.
  • Posted

Hi, sourdough bread is high in fibre, it's made by fermentation and much easier to digest even wholemeal sourdough bread.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.