Where does this acid come from?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi people, can anyone shed some light on my stomach problems? Ever since I got really stressed on Monday my stomach feels like a fireball daily, it burns acid that tastes burnt but why? How do I shift it? Will my liquid Ranitidine (a powerful ant acid) do it? Can you recommend anything to shift it quickly I go away at Monday morning at 6.30 and don't want to start it feeling crxx!

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

• Posted

This sounds a bit like gastritis.i have it as well. My stomach burns with an acid feeling. I now am very strict on my diet. I take gaviscon advance and dgl licorice tablets.

• Posted

How do you know you have gastritis? I was diagnosed with IBS and diverticulosis only. I have always wondered if they misdagnosed this!
  • Posted

Iv had this problem but I cant shed any light on the situation other than what the Doctor has given me .. Lots of Tablets one of them includint rantidine ... 300mg or 30mg .. Not sure of the mg amount. Anyway Mine has not turned out to be Acid Problems apparently its IBS. Doctors have said the acid that comes from the food you eat may cause problems to your stomach so therefore  you could be allergic to some foods that you eat is what is giing you stomach problems Im not 100% sure. .. I also take buscopan which is suppose to help the muscles or nerve in your stomach to relax. and then theres that liquid that everyone gets which is suppose to help with Acid. Not sure what it is called..but it is in a big Bottle. its suppose to help to relieve the acid in your stomach 
    • Posted

Thanks aryt, I will look into those things and I started at Ranitidine level because the air seems to be trapped further up, in a burning little mass.
  • Posted

Acid reflux can be triggered by anxiety. Gaviscon and milk really help me.  In fact any antacid brand makes a difference for me.

• Posted

Ah that explains a lot! I have had a terribly stressful week and had really tough counselling session yesterday. I heard someone mention gastritis once the blood tests results come back I will be double checking this.
    • Posted

My acid reflux started after intense exam stress at college.  I was told I had a weak oesophageal sphincter.  Gastritis is diagnosed by endoscopy. 
    • Posted

I agree with the stress comment, i have private messaged you about this before so won't repeat what I said!

• Posted

Thanks Pippa, i had double the ant acid I would normally take and keep having horrendous burps but most of the acid has eased off! I think the counselling session I had yesterday, which was tough to say the least, sparked all this. I can manage now I think!!!
    • Posted

Burps still are one of my worst symptoms. They seem to be the one thing I cannot get rid of. I first thought I had a hernia but an endoscopy and barrium swallow showed no signs of that.
    • Posted

The extra dose of Ranitidine worked! The acid has gone. I took lots of milk drinks too but only draw back is I then was very bunged up so had to take some laxido.
    • Posted

I wished I could take ranitidine. Any form of acid reducing medication gives me delayed gastric emptying. It's kind of a catch 22 for me.

• Posted

All I can do is a controlled diet pretty much. There's not much else I can do.

• Posted

Hi Pippa, I discovered when I upped the amount of milk I had that it really helps, but so did the ant acid! Thanks, how's Spain?

• Posted

I can't have dairy at all. Allergies, I drink almond milk but Ive been on the strictest low acid diet imaginable. I really think my acid is from ppi rebound from gastritis. Some people can see three months or longer of acid rebound after ppi. My gastro had said he's seen people experience rebound up to 6 months.

• Posted

I found that even though I avoid spicy foods, I still get acid reflux
    • Posted

Yes. That's the case for me right now. Really hoping mine will settle down soon.

• Posted

I usually keep gaviscon advance on hand. I can't tolerate any ppi though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.