WHERE TN COMES FROM?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Mine started after dental work but my surgeon told me that I had a vein that dropped down and wrapped itself around the TN. He said when anything touches the nerve that is what makes the shocks. I do not know why mine did not start until I had some dental work done. I went to the dentist 3 times and found nothing wrong. My family dr. diagnosed me. Mine started as shocks that seem to come from my teeth. I am so glad the pain is over. You are right they never wanted to give me pain medicine either. Kathy

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

That's so strange! Perhaps something happening during your dental surgery that flinched the vein to move? I really don't understand how it can 'just happen' as my neurologist said. I was on holiday when mine started. No accident, never hit my head. Was just talking and got a shock in my head that made me flinch. This continued for days, happening more and more until it attacks we're eventually lasting up to an hour and effecting my whole face/neck/back. I was told to completely come off of pain medication, which tbh wasn't even having any impact in the end. I just feel like something is being missed. Will keep you posted after next appointment and see if any light is shed - or new medication. I'm so glad your pain is over!! That is fantastic. 

• Posted

Kathy, my understanding from when i had TN is that the pain won't always show up even if there is a blood vessel or artery touching the Trigeminal nerve. Once there is prolonged contact between the TN and an offending artery( they don't know how long), the Myelin Sheath wears off and then the shocks can start.  Myelin is a white fatty substance that acts as an insulating layer for the nerve, kind of like the rubber over a copper electric wire. As far as why the pain never started until you had dental work is anybody's guess ( including the doctors), but judging from so many patients input, there can be many triggers to set it off ( Firm touch, Pressure, Cold) etc.  Online research shows that Vit B 5 pantothenic acid helps rebuild the Myelin Sheath but very slowly.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

You've got it in one Saz. 

Usually TN develops because of prolonged pumping of the walls of the local branch of cerebellar artery onto the outside sheath of  the 5th Cranial nerve (our friend the trigeminal nerve). Demyelination allows touching or very near contact of the unprotected nerve cords (axons). The MVD operation either moves the pulsating artery away from the nerve or puts a wodge of thin Teflon pad between them. The effect is the same and in most cases gives instant relief from the stabbing pain, but maybe not completely in some cases. The jury is out whether re-myelination occurs sufficiently or fast enough to "cure" the problem. 

My MVD reduced pain from 9-10 out of 10 to about 2, when I have exacerbations. Rest of the time I'm fine. Got my life back. 

Cheers

Big D 

• Posted

Kathy you stated that your pain is over... What steps did you have to take to have the surgery because it seems to me that you must have been diagnosed for YEARS and go through this pain for YEARS in order to have anything done. Mine also have been in my teeth. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.