Where to but Cheapest Catheters???

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,  I just started CIC and got the hang of it now.  Not so bad after rough learning curve for first 2 weeks.  I am looking for reccomendations where to get my cathers that will bill myl insurance at a good rate. My Dr office set me up with a compnay called Mckesson.  I just got my bill $417 for 120 Coloplast 614 coude tip!. That seems really expensive and I have a big deductible. Seems they are charging me like 3.50 each.  I see they are almost half that amt if you buy yourself from some companies but ones i found y don't bill insurance and you pay out of pocket. I am retiring at end of this year and will be paying myself and looking for a cheaper source. But for now I am looking for cheaper source that bills insurance.   This forum and Jim James really helped me get through those first couple of rough weeks coming to terms with this new reality in my life and living with Self cathing daily.

Thanks in Advance for your help  Bryan

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bryan,

Glad you're getting the hang of CIC. It only gets easier and easier and at a certain point, for many of us it becomes about as dramatic and painless as brushing our teeth. 

A lot of us here are very happy with the Coloplast Speedicath which has a hydrophillic lubricant. I recommend starting with size FR14 and then dropping down to FR12 if you can. For most, the coude tip is best for navigating larger prostates.

That said, it probably costs as much as the ones you're using, but you can check it out. 

The Speedicath's are for one-time only use because of the hydrophillic coating. I could be wrong but I think the 614's you have are vinyl and you then add lubricant? If so, they are probably reusable regardless of what the manufacturer suggests. You might look into this more. If reusuable, you've just saved a ton of money because one or two catheters (rotated for cleaning drying) could last a week. Again, double check on this. For example, I have read on other forums that some people use one or two red rubber catheters for 2-4 weeks! Depending on how careful you want to be, they are rinsed either in water and/or some sort of antiseptic solution, dried and then used again. 

-- Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.