Where to get abscess drained?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Where did you guys go to get your abscess drained? I don't have insurance right now so ER sounds too expensive and was wondering if anyone has done this at an Urgent Care?

Also this is only the second time I've had this and the first time I read online that a hot bath would help. I only took one bath and it burst on its own a few hours later so I was hopeful this second time, but its not working in my favor this time. I've taken about 5 baths already it refuses to pop and its just getting bigger. I've read on here that massaging and tea tree oil helps and I tried both, didn't work. Someone on this forum also recommended silica spray which I already ordered and should be getting in 2 days. Fingers crossed because I really don't want to pay so much to see the doctors.

How long do these things usually last for you guys because I read they should pop on its own in about 2 weeks but I've had mine for about 4 im getting nervous and impatient. What are some other remedies or tricks that worked for you guys besides the most well known ones? Should I just try to sterilize a needle and pop it myself?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

When I went to urgent care they sent me to ER, (I'm in CA for reference). Maybe you can look up free clinics in your area? Mine never popped on their own, I always had to get them drained. A lot of women swear by a vitamin called Serrapeptase. Worth a shot!

• Posted

I'll definitely look into that thank you! May I ask how long you had to wait each time before you had to get it check out by a professional each time?

• Posted

Update: I just took yet another warm bath. After I got out I noticed that there was this red blotch that was not there a few hours prior when I first posted this discussion. I dabbed it gently with some toilet paper and noticed the tiniest hue of red in it so I think the bath drew the blood and gunk inside to the surface. I could be wrong.

• Posted

This was back when I had really crappy insurance (medi-cal) it took 1-2 months to be seen for it each time. Which is why I ended up in the ER to get it drained, the other 2 times I got it drained it was by an OB in their office. Sounds like baths might be working then! Good luck I hope it drains on its own 🤞

• Posted

So, Ive had 3 really bad ones and then two minor ones. The minor ones were after the bad ones because i know what to do. Hot baths are great, but load them with epson salt!!! If it's bad, alternate between Prid (orange can drawing salve at pharmacy) and my own recipe of coconut oil, tumeric, and tea tree oil. When i feel on coming on all i use is the Prid and it goes away within a day. Once it pops, keep applying Prid on a gauze pad to help it drain.image

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.