Where to get INR test in England & Scotland

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am travelling to England and Scotland in September and was wondering where I could go to get my INR test done, I live in Australia.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Ideally if you're well controlled on warfarin and are having infrequent blood tests you may not need to have a test during your stay. I think this is something you will have to plan carefully with your doctor but if it is an emergency it may need to be done in A/E.
  • Posted

Unfortunately as yet my INR levels are not very well controlled. I have only been on warfarin for about 6 weeks due to a recent blood clot and have been having twice weekly checks. My doctor Thinks because I will be travelling and my diet changeable I might need to get It Checked while overseas. The finger prick test only takes a couple minutes and was wondering wether I could go to local hospitals for a Check.
  • Posted

hi peter

so long as you have your book or carry a card for INR test's any hospital or a dr's surgury will do it i would make sure you have got medical health inurance inclueded in your package before you travel from your travel agents.

also they will do it for you in the A&E but you will have to go back next day for the results and your book back  they won't give you the results straight away.

some hospitals will do a finger prick and others will take it from your arm i have been on mine for 12yrs flown all over to different country's and had it done.

some hospital's will ask you if you have a contact number if you go first thing in the mornings and give you the results before the lab close's same day but you  need to tell them if you are only stopping one day in one place this is why they will ask if you have a contact number then they will ring you before the blood lab close's

but if you decide to stay say 2 days in one place its better for you to still let them contact you next day not every hospital works the same the phelbotomist can't give you the resusts the blood lab can only do this and they close at 5.00

also they take it of what and when you had your last one was done this is why it as to go to the lab this applys over here only they may ask to see your insurance over here .

hope you enjoy your stay over here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.