where to get the best/cheapest 'folinic acid' - tetrahydrofolate

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi people.

wonder if anyone could help with suggesting a good brand of folinic acid (active form) in the UK. one that doesn't break the bank.

thanks in advance

C

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Caitlin,

is this not a prescription only drug?

• Posted

no isabel. as far as i understand it's an OTC supplement (activated form of Folic Acid). my regular supplement suppliers have it , but 60 caps cost over £15. i'm hoping there's a good but cheaper one available.

with thanks

C

• Posted

Hi Caitlin, you don't need 5MTHF or folinic acid,  folic acid supplements are sufficient. It is a media beet up to try to get you to buy the more expensive product. Similarly you don't need P5P or R5P vitamin B6 or B2 are sufficient. The alternative products are once again an attempt to make you buy the more expensive, and not more effective supplement.

I am happy to explain the lack of logic in use the folinic acid if you want. Furthermore, clinical trials have shown that the expensive derivatives are no more effective, UNLESS, you are taking methotrxate, which I presume you are not. Save your money. You would be better taking standard multivitamins twice per day. Whichever form of folate you use, you do need to make sure that you are supplementing with B12 (preferably methyl and adenosyl) and riboflavin.

• Posted

thank u Madge. i'd love the logic bit if u don't mind. i had borderline b12 def. GP refused to address it, so i started the injections Hydroxycobalamin from my Environmental Doc. i didn't take extra Folic Acid. the response from my injections have plateaued, so i was wondering if the Folinic Acid would help. my b12 levels are 2000. my GP's OK with that. my environmental Doc maintains ppl with compromised immune systems i.e. presenting with an ME/CFS/FibroMyalgia picture should ideally keep their b12 levals @ 2000 or above.

with thanks

C

• Posted

Hi Caitlin, If your mitochondrial function is low, I would be very suspicious that you were also low in vitamin B2. In Europe they have an EGRA that can look at that. From memory B2 is also involved as a co-factor for NADH synthesis. Also your metabolic profile will tell you. Do you know if you were "marginally" low on iron and ferritin. They are also an indicator. Also you said before you were marginally B12 deficient. You need adenosyl B12 for active mitochondrial function. The cross-over point between Krebb's cycle and the electron transport chain requires FAD (from vitamin B2/riboflavin) so if you are low in riboflavin the activity of this will be low and show up as poor mitochondrial function.

If you are taking hydroxocobalamin your serum will of course show as being high in B12, but it is hydroxocobalamin, NOT methyl or adenosyl cobalamin. It does show you that your doctor may actually have injected it though, which is about all that the test is useful for. The test does NOT tell you if you have converted the inactive pro-vitamin form of hydroxocobalamin to the two active forms of the vitamin methyl B12 and adenosyl B12. It also doesn't tell you if the material is bound to transcobalamin II, which it has to be for uptake into the cells..

• Posted

yes, MagdeC ur intuition is spot on . i'm low in B2 - 800 mgs daily to help keep the AS at bay - sometimes. also low in ferritin & folate tests. T3 also low. on thyroxine. are the 2 active forms of intramuscluar or oral b12 available outside of prescription in the UK. to be quite honest my GP's totally clueless, so i'm mostly self-managing in the 'dark' so to speak. i'm having the Intrinsic Factor test end of the month. my Mum had PA. i know the serum blood test is a bit useless but some GP's just tick the 'middle ages' B12 protocol box for same. btw, my GP didn't OK my injections. it was an Environmental Doc who ordered it. my GP is OK with the 2000 b12 reading though.

big thanks MadgeC for ur invalauble input.

C

• Posted

Hi Catilin, sorry I must have missed it somewhere, you elude to ME/CFS/FM, is that what you have? Have you had all the genetic tests 23andme and biochemistry tests done? For the moment I will assume that you have ME/CFS/FM possibly complicated with PA. What I have heard is that some people are having great success with higher dose vitamin B2 - 5 - 20 mg day, plus topical adenosyl/methyl B12. I can tell you who to contact if you are interested. 
    • Posted

hi MadgeC. yes, i guess me/cfs is probably the most approximate 'label' for the diagnosis. however, the UK expert on fatigue says its a clinical picture resulting from 'mitochondrial failure'. the only test i've had is the mitochondrial profile test. i'm not aware of any other blood tests available in the UK to test for fatgue causes. the fatigue expert (Environmental Doc) started me on b12 IM as i was borderline deficient. my GP wasn't prepared to treat it. yes, i'm open to exploring anything that helps thank u. i do live in the UK and we're pretty behind in the diagnosis/treatment of anything that doesn't fit neatly into a 'categorical' conventional medical diagnostic box.
  • Posted

Caitlin, probably the best that I can do is to put the email address of a guy who has been looking at the genetics and metabolic profile of people with CFS and you can discuss it with him. He knows lots more than me about the CFS/ME bit. He may be able to suggest tests that you can have done, or analyse what you have had already. It is probably better than having to bear your sole on a public web-site, if you know what I mean. If it is OK with you, just let me know and I will put the email address in your personal mail box. He is currently doing it as a free service. They (I don't know who they are), but they don't like to have email addresses displayed on the blog.
    • Posted

hi MadgeC that would be wonderful.

BIGthanks in advance

C

• Posted

HI Caitlin, the address is in your email box.

Do you know how you got CMF/FM, was it after some sort of prolonged infection, which seems to be the reason for CFS? I am not sure that I understand the difference between CFS and FM, although I think that sub-clinical hypothyroidism is associated with FM. Good luck. 

• Posted

ME/CFS r terms that tend to be used interchangeably, but many ppl disagree that they r one and the same thing. about 50% of ppl with ME/CFS also have FM. all 3 tend to have b12 & Thyroid probs.

yes, i got an infection that i ignored. being a workaholic type A personality doesn't help. will check ur e-mail now

MANY thanks

much gratitude.

• Posted

Hi Caitlin, looking into it, it looks to me as if they are probably definitely different, particularly the difference between FM and CFS. Hashimoto's or at least pre-Hashimotos appears to be well correlated with FM, but I don't know that such a correlation exists for CFS.

Very interesting about your infection. mmmmm. Sorry to pry, but would you say that at the time you were rushing about that you were having lost of dairy products in your diet, or did the "avoid cholesterol" diets rule?

• Posted

No MadgeC. i was vegan @ the time. i've alternated between vegan/veggie since my teens. was running half marathons, 3 jobs & studying at the time. i'd never been ill so ignored the prolonged infection. had my first ever dose of antibiotics and they nearly comotosed me. have never been well since then. lesson learned.

C

• Posted

I know this is a very old thread! But one I’ve found quite interesting as I am in a similar boat. I would love to know more about the folate / folic acid suggestion as I was under the impression that as I’m am homozygous C667T for MTHFR that folic acid should be avoided and I am looking for folonic acid. 

Also, I would really love the contact details for your doctor please Madge! 

How are you these days Catlin? Hope you are feeling better xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.